Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Lab tech at COTY

Kent Europe
Computer Science

5.6/10

There were some aspects of the placement which I really enjoyed. I enjoyed learning about the company and the industry, the fact that I was working in a professional laboratory whilst ensuring safety was the number one priority, and the training programmes I attended which provided fantastic networking opportunities. I did not particularly enjoy my day-to-day work (which will be elaborated in my answers below), the department I worked in, and the friction and lack of communication with colleagues.

Considering day-to-day work, everyone was extremely helpful. Some were intimidating in the warehouse. The engineers who were above me in the hierarchy were very helpful when I had doubts or questions. Ideally, I would have been working with them, and I do not know why they placed me where they did. Outside of work, I was rarely invited to their social gatherings, and I felt I never really got to connect with any of them because I was never given the chance. Overall, I was not really valued by my colleagues.

My supervisor was very welcoming and friendly, however, he was too busy to actually monitor and discuss my progress with me. He was kind, polite and had a lot of operating experience. Initially, I thought I would be able to learn a lot from him. He was rarely around as he was too busy out on plant and working on other tasks. However, a lady did help me and took that role.

extremely busy, some days less so. The busy days flew by, especially coming up to a refuelling outage. I like to work, and if I was not given any tasks or finished them early, I always found things to be done, no matter how basic and boring they were.

It was nice to be trusted and left alone to do experiments. I did feel very grown up and every one was very polite, friendly and informative. I really di enjoy the experience and i would love to work their again, possibly hired would be a goal of mine, not just a work experience placement.

I enjoyed learning new things nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical, analytical and organisational skills. I enjoyed learning new things nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical, analytical and organisational skills.

I enjoyed learning new things nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhanc I enjoyed learning new lytical and organisational skills.

things nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical, analytical and organizational skills. y technical, ana

things nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical, analytical and organizational skills. y technical, curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical, analytical and organized

nevertheless. It was a steep learning curve for me as it was my first job in the industry. It was a good opportunity to enhance my technical. I received training in manual handling, safety, and a lot of technical tasks (again by being proactive). I also signed myself up for a short course regarding the nuclear reactor and related operations, which was fantastic (and very much related to my discipline).

as it reduced my dependency on my colleagues, and as my placement progressed, I started doing things by myself more and more, and asked people for help only if I absolutely needed it. Again, being proactive helped me get tasks that had more responsibility.

I really value the skills I gained and I am pleased that I have this experience.
Dr. Maya Angelou said,
"Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better."
I most certainly know better now.