Manufacturing VPI Placement Student at Cummins

5.5

Work for the New Product Development team (generator sets) in Cummins Daventry

- Process Sequencing and Process Designing, Process Documents
- Manufacturing Design Review
- Capture and report build issues to the wider product development team, resolve the ones assigned to manufacturing
- Process Planning
- Providing technical and hands-on support to the builds of new gensets
- Failure Mode Effect Analysis

I really enjoyed my placement year as I got to work on challenging assignments and cross-functionally, and got supported by colleagues.

A lot I would say. My contributions were always valued and my manager expressed that he was really pleased with my performance.

The company is one of the best place to do your placements for sure. They trust and support placement students a lot, promote them to reward impressive performance, consider them for permanent positions and invest a lot in their training and development.

It is'nt that consistent to be honest. Some days are busier then the some others. Knowledge of prioritizing tasks will help a lot.

A lot to be honest. But it was more about me earning the trust of people. A good piece of advise for new starters would be to showcase one's potential and get people to trust you. I was even asked to supervise project and host important cross-functional Skype calls on a few occasions.

I chose to do something during my placement which no university course offers or can offer. The skills and knowledge earned through my degree course were challenged, and the skills that I learnt at work will definitely make me a better professional possessing better problem solving approach, corporate communication skills and workloads management skills.

Friendly, supportive, and all the good adjectives that you can think of about a workplace.

I would rate it as 8 out of 10. They had great inductions and training lessons for professional development. However, the first few days will be challenging for a new starter as one slowly gets accustomed to the complexities of the organizational structure.

Besides the inductions, Cummins has a structured placement training programme having 4 training modules covering communication and presentation skills, leadership skills, teamwork and customer service.

I was interviewed for a couple of permanent postions, one of which I got turned down because it was looking for more experience. But the positive side is that I got a feedback following a rejection, which helped me in the next interview. Cummins looks to retain placement students provided they perform well during the placement.

I am not that social. But I have a great time at work with my colleagues.

Rent is 350 - 400 £ a month. £ 600 in my opinion is enough to sustain yourself.

Not into Nightlife. Can't comment.

There are loads of opportunities to be honest. They have the Sports club and also the placement students outing sessions.