1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship taught me a lot and it confirmed that I would like to work in risk management.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They were very thankful when I completed work for them and they always made sure I was okay.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The team were very supportive. Whenever I asked them a question they were more than happy to help me. They went out of their way to make sure that I understood why the processes work or why a certain formula was used.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varied quite a bit, some days I had a lot to do, others there was time to do some extra reading related to the job and the markets
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The team I worked with gave me tasks which are part of the full time job and so the documents I created were used.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My excel skills quickly improved and I learnt a lot about risk management, such as how to interpret beta gamma and vega.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Being on the trading floor meant that there was always a general buzz around the floor but being in a job which requires mathematical application meant that people in the team were often quiet.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was set up well, the first week was good to get to know other interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They provided tutorials before the internship so that every intern can start with a good understanding of an investment bank and the specific job area.
The team taught me a lot and there were papers available on various topics.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am on the grad scheme
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
when events were organised everyone went. But being in a small division meant that there were only a few other risk interns and so there wasn't as much of a social scene as with traders etc. But the halls of residence that many interns stayed in were very sociable.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
easy to get to everywhere in london
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There's a lot going on in london in general and UBS organised some activities outside of work