Electrical Enginnering Year Placement at Tata Steel

Port Tabot Wales
Computer and Systems Engineering Electronic and Electrical Engineering Electronics Engineering

8.3/10

8.6

Part of the Energy Department PC&A team, in charge of deploying new kit around site and upgrading the process control infrastructure within the department. A site-wide network of pipes, cables, optical fibre and other equipment.

I really enjoyed working at Tata where I felt I was part of my team.

i felt really valued by my colleagues and supervisor. They trusted me with various tasks and gave me all the guidance I needed at all times.

I was lucky to have the best supervisor/manager ever. He really provided me with everything I needed to learn, test my skills and get used to industrial engineering activities.

The amount of work wasn't overwhelming. There were days when I would step out of the office just after 8 pm and go on site to work on issues, returning to the office in the afternoon/evening and there were days with mostly office work, or days with not much to do. Quite balance workload.

I was given responsibility to manage contractors on site and arrange for quotes and work parties to come on site and do work for us. Also learned how to fill in the work permits from outside contractors and take them through the chain of approval. I also managed some OPs and aquisitions in SAP.

Tata Steel really invests a lot in their young talents, apprentices and graduate. A significant amount of training, courses and practical workshops were provided and the skills I gained will help me throughout life and career

My collegues were a really jolly bunch and there was always time for a little banter, especially during lunchtime break in the office block kitchen. Really good laugh.

For me as a person with electrical engineering I can say there is significant space for improvement in the placement year schedule/ programme. It was mostly mechanical engineering oriented and there weren't many tasks for electrical and PC&A people. (Process Controll & Automation)

Significant investment thanks to the Company and the Welsh Government through European Funding significant courses were provided and fully paid by the entities mentioned above.

Tata are offering a competitive anual pay, a £1250 bonus for graduates who were on placement with the company and return to work after University Graduation. And anual pay rises plus three monthly bonuses. I was offered a permanent job to return after graduation.

As far as I know there was but being scattered all around the steel works various departments we didn't meet too often.

I really enjoyed South Wales! Swansea bay was a great area with great views and lovely people. Live was quite cheap and what Tata pay you is good money for this area. Used to live in Swansea an drive every day to Port Talbot to work. Around 20-25 mins drive.

Great nightlife in Swansea, plenty of places to go, especially on Wind Street.

There were some but I wasn't really involved