1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I learned alot, but overall I was disappointed. I was not provided with the means to achieve my full potential.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I sometimes felt like a burden, often having to find my own academic projects as none were allocated to me after trying very hard.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Upper management was very supportive and clear with their advice and guidance, but slightly detached from lower management. Personal manage was also good, however when it wasn't, things became very difficult. The culture of opposing "snitching" meant that going over a managers head could create many problems.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Work was very inconsistent. I was busy for some weeks, but often had long stretches with nothing to do. I found work for myself, but even this was difficult. The lack of responsibility was incredibly frustrating.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Very little, despite constantly being told I was very capable.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learned alot which I can take forward.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly, but a very traditional, sometimes offensive culture. A large amount of intolerance to minority groups, which often made me feel uncomfortable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Limited PPE required (had to borrow overalls at times).
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Great training and frequent courses.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I don't think i was a good fit here.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Good with other placements, but I was not able to work in the same areas as these people.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cheap - student areas
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Great - student area
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, took part in charity events, and young professionals society.