Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Placement Trainee Commerical Manager at Marks & Spencer

Belfast Northern Ireland
Business Management Customer Service Human Resources Retail

5.8/10

I had a fantastic time on my placement year, from day 1 I wasn't treated as 'the placement student', but was given responsibility, respect and a place within a high performing team of commercial managers in the store I was placed.

Highly valued. I was given a mentor who supported me throughout the entire process. He ensured I was on track with the programme and ensured I had the support I needed to carry out my role. When I did a good job my manager congratulated me, which made me feel highly valued. When failures occurred, I was given an opportunity to learn through these and my manager helped me to understand how these could have been avoided.

Weekly catchups with my mentor, in additional to quarterly reviews with my line manager meant that I was given constant support and guidance throughout my programme. However I was responsible for arranging these and pushing my own development, this was beneficial as it taught me the importance of driving my own performance.

Each day I was extremely busy. Spending time in every function of the store, in a hands on fashion ensured I learnt the skills of the job with the team on the shop floor. After setting up my team and ensuring the store was ready to trade I was involved in compliance, completing service walk-arounds, walking the shop floor to consider sales performance, ensuring our people policies were being adhered to- amongst many other things!

I was given responsibility from day 1, however this responsibility increased throughout my programme. At the start of my programme I was responsible for a small team however as I developed my skills and competencies, my responsibility increased. Ultimately I was able to cover as a commercial manager to cover a 2 month holiday, being responsible for the entire team, customer service and stock management within that business unit.

No matter what career I choose the experience developed in a dynamic retail environment will always stand by me. The people skills are invaluable.

• There were no perks with this Placement Year