Wotking within the direct purchasing team while also working on a variety of other projects
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A very enjoyable place to work, in an office with a mixture of age groups. There is lots going on and for everyone to get involved in as well as your normal day to day tasks
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like i recieved really valuable training as soon as I arrived at KB and had really supportive colleagues who taught me how the company works and made me feel valued. As there are so many other placement students it is good to work on projects with them and talk about each others experiences.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager has been really supportive from the start providing me with all the necessary resources and giving me the support and guidence I have needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Day to day I have my usual tasks however I also have a number of projects on top of these so I have to manage my time carefully.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The projects i have been working on have ranged in importance and size, the biggest ones having large impacts on the business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills develped on my placement will 100% be useful for the future both back at university and future jobs.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is really nice, it is open plan and therefore communication between colleagues is easy. The ranging age’s means there are a mixture of conversations and people surrounding you. There is a canteen for lunch which is always has a much more relaxed atmosphere to switch off from work while eating.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Right from the start the company had organised us to well through are inductions and setting us on their systems. My manager had a 6 week plan for us which involved some time on the shop floor to experience more of the company. We also had a 2 day HR course which was a good opportunity for the students to meet properly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
They sent us on a two day training course which was based around are personal development. This showed us how best to reflect on what we would be doing and the how to make the most of our placement year. At work I have received a range of training and development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I could definitely see myself working for KB in the future. It has a really good culture that likes to take care of its employees; it is also a growing company with lots of opportunities. The only downside for me is the location as it is not the easiest place to travel to.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There has been a really good relationship between all of the placement students this year. It has meant be can talk to each other about our experiences and go on social events outside of work. The other colleagues at KB generally enjoy having placement students around and are supportive in the office
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home and commuted this year therefore my main cost has been petrol, and the travelling does make the working day a lot longer. However housing is available around the Melksham and Trowbridge area and the placement students have said it is easier to get if you don’t say your students.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
In Melksham I there is not much other than a pub and a sports club, in Trowbridge there is more bars and there is a club however it is not incredible. Bath is really good for a night out in comparison, loads of decent bars and clubs about and commutable from Melksham/Trowbridge
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As placement students we became quite close and often did stuff on the weekends together, mostly in Bath. There is a choice of different sporting activities to do after work in the week. Also this year we have completed volunteering and other projects outside of the office throughout the year.