Industrial Placement Materials Science at GSK

Weybridge South East
Chemistry Mathematics/Statistics

7.1/10

6.6

Development Formulation Scientist. to assist with project work going on within the team and to complete a project that will improve the manufacturability of a product

Its been great so far, a really friendly site to work at with lots of interesting work going on.

I felt very much part of a team most of the time. The only time i felt not part of GSK was when activities would run that only full time employees were allowed to partake in.
I was given work to do that required independent thinking and challenges for me to get stuck into which made me feel like i was being trusted.

The support was there but it isn't in a very formal capacity, i think improvements could be made. but that varies between supervisors.
I know that i could have gone to my supervisor if i was struggling at any point. (sometimes its nice to be asked though!)

Most days were pretty busy but some days were quiet, it depended on what was going on. Theres always time for you to make your own work though. Or even ask for more.

I feel that i was left to work on my project pretty independently which required a lot of responsibility and independent thinking.
I was also given parts of other projects to help out on and complete tasks in a way i felt comfortable so i think enough responsibility to fir with my job role

I think the independence of working on a project will help me massively for my final year at uni.
The development of communicating with lots of different people for different things will also be of great use.

Really calm and relaxed atmosphere which made me feel at home instantly, Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. A real feel of team work flowed through my department.

Not massively organised in terms of my individual project but the general IP program was managed well

Not great amounts i could probably have gotten more out of it in terms of experience in developing presenting skills etc.

Id like to think i would be able to go back one day. But i have no idea yet!

Yes at my site there was 12 but i know they are recruiting more next year 2018/19 and we all socialise often and have lunch together most days.

HIGH!! It was Surrey, but if you spent your money wisely i was able to live a very comfortable life doing all the things i enjoy.

The town the office was in is quiet and expensive but local to my accommodation its more lively and london's not too far away

Yes, you've just got to look or them! lots of sports clubs around