Development Formulation Scientist. to assist with project work going on within the team and to complete a project that will improve the manufacturability of a product
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Its been great so far, a really friendly site to work at with lots of interesting work going on.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very much part of a team most of the time. The only time i felt not part of GSK was when activities would run that only full time employees were allowed to partake in.
I was given work to do that required independent thinking and challenges for me to get stuck into which made me feel like i was being trusted.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support was there but it isn't in a very formal capacity, i think improvements could be made. but that varies between supervisors.
I know that i could have gone to my supervisor if i was struggling at any point. (sometimes its nice to be asked though!)
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days were pretty busy but some days were quiet, it depended on what was going on. Theres always time for you to make your own work though. Or even ask for more.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel that i was left to work on my project pretty independently which required a lot of responsibility and independent thinking.
I was also given parts of other projects to help out on and complete tasks in a way i felt comfortable so i think enough responsibility to fir with my job role
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think the independence of working on a project will help me massively for my final year at uni.
The development of communicating with lots of different people for different things will also be of great use.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really calm and relaxed atmosphere which made me feel at home instantly, Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. A real feel of team work flowed through my department.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Not massively organised in terms of my individual project but the general IP program was managed well
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Not great amounts i could probably have gotten more out of it in terms of experience in developing presenting skills etc.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Id like to think i would be able to go back one day. But i have no idea yet!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes at my site there was 12 but i know they are recruiting more next year 2018/19 and we all socialise often and have lunch together most days.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
HIGH!! It was Surrey, but if you spent your money wisely i was able to live a very comfortable life doing all the things i enjoy.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The town the office was in is quiet and expensive but local to my accommodation its more lively and london's not too far away
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, you've just got to look or them! lots of sports clubs around