Analysing the news and current events and their impact on the world's financial markets
Summarising conference calls of executives and meetings of the team
Observing the team at work and helping out with tasks - e.g. client pitches, trading ideas and plans
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a great experience. Citi is a vibrant and exciting place to work! The people are friendly and the job was exciting.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
They made me welcome and were very friendly. It felt like a place I would like to be a part of.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was able to talk to the young grads who gave me support and helped me understand the day to day goings on in the firm.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was a busy summer in trading! There was lots of research to keep up with, news to take in and tasks to help out with. It was good to learn on the job.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It was a good balance of being able to get involved, learn by doing, learn by experiencing and learn by observing.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I've learnt a lot about myself and have improved my skills; communication, confidence wise and also learnt a lot about the practical application of my degree in the real world.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was fast paced and thrilling! Great to be a part of it.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Induction week was well done and generally the placement was organised well. Perhaps the teams could be allocated a little better to suit interests or more time given to observe/experience other desks.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A lot of time was invested in building up my knowledge and confidence in work tasks. It was a great experience. Very friendly and supportive.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Got an offer. Loved the organisation and people there. Would like to build a career in this growing global organisation. It was great.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
It was enjoyable. Maybe there could have been a few more activities for those who don't drink. e.g. bowling and social events in larger venues.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Canary Wharf has an array of culinary delights! It was a grand and impressive location full of shops, bars, restaurants galore. Price wise, a little expensive, but it was nice to have so much on offer at your footsteps.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good nightlife, but given the hours, mainly on the weekends!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Social events and volunteering events were ample, enjoyed and appreciated!