The Winter Vacation Scheme provided me with an invaluable insight into a career in commercial law and the culture here at Norton Rose Fulbright. I enjoyed every aspect of the vacation scheme; from the talks, personal development sessions to the work in our respective departments.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
I felt extremely valued at Norton Rose Fulbright. I was treated like a trainee by my supervisor and other lawyers in the department. This made me comfortable from the very first day.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
The support network at Norton Rose Fulbright is second to none. I was given a trainee buddy, a departmental contact and a supervisor to guide me through the week. This was greatly appreciated.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The analytical skills and attention to detail that I have developed will certainly aid me in my Politics degree. Furthermore, as a lawyer these are key skills needed in order to fully help clients.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The programme was very well structured. Graduate recruitment sessions occurred throughout the day however were not too disruptive.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Incredible. The vacation scheme students got on extremely well and this made the week a lot easier.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
As previously stated, I was made to feel like a trainee. I conducted research, did proof-reading and had a go at some drafting. This helped me understand the role of a trainee here at Norton Rose Fulbright.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The culture here at Norton Rose Fulbright is very unique and enhanced by the support network. All of the lawyers are friendly, approachable and supportive of your work. Each of them took the time out of their day to try and get to know me as a person. I really appreciated this.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
My time at Norton Rose Fulbright solidified my desire to pursue a career in commercial law. Within one week, I have been able to come to the decision that this firm is well-suited to my personality and character. The firm's value for diversity is also evident.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were many opportunities for networking throughout the week from lunches, dinners, drinks etc with trainees, associates and partners. We were able to receive an insight from different levels of lawyers.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
Cooking classes, lots of opportunities for drinks, dinner at The Ivy. I could not complain, fantastic!
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?