This was a vacation scheme lasting 7 working days. It involved working in a department, attending information sessions and personal development workshops and several assessments.
1. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
Everyone was fully committed to making sure that I got that best out of this vacation scheme. I was involved in various interesting tasks alongside being asked to attend several talks and invited to several social events to build my network.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
There were no instances where I felt that I was in the way or an inconvenience. From trainee to partner, everyone was invested in me fully understanding my tasks and learning from my experience here.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I received continual guidance and support from graduate recruitment, from teaching me about self awareness and personal branding to networking skills and getting the most out of the scheme. In the offices, all employees were keen to answer any questions that I had and support me in my development.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Self-confidence and ability to be proactive are two important qualities that I will take from this scheme. I was involved in various information sessions on networking, presenting and self branding which I will draw upon in later life.
5. How well structured was the insight?
The vacation scheme was well structured. There was time to be fully involved with tasks in my allocated department alongside time to attend talks, sessions, networking events and socials.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The general atmosphere during the scheme was positive. Everyone at the firm put in a lot of effort to make sure that everyone was happy and confident during their time at the firm.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested a lot in me in regards to this personal training and development. They arranged several sessions on personal branding, networking, presenting and being successful on a vacation scheme which was really useful.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
Being allocated to a department and having a trainee 'buddy' were really important for me to understand the everyday tasks, demands and expectations at this firm.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The insight really allowed me to get under the skin of the firm to understand how everyone interacted, approached their work and supported each other. It was a valuable insight into how committed Norton Rose Fulbright is to quality, integrity and unity.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
You are able to get involved in a variety of tasks which allows you an insight into the nature of this career. The content is honest and realistic to help people decide if this is the right career for them.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
The payment is very generous and allows students to afford travelling into work and to enjoy the experience without financial concerns.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were always opportunities for networking and meeting employees. From getting involved in day to day work, the discussions and Q&As arranged by recruitment, to simply having a coffee with anyone in the firm.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
The networking and social event opportunities were really valuable, They allowed me to network on a professional level, to understand more about the firm and career progression at the firm, and also on an informal level to socialise and get to personally know trainees, associates and partners.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
I found out about the various pro bono, volunteering and charitable roles that employees can get involved with outside of work. I was also introduced to various extra-curricular activities in the firm, such as the choir and music lessons.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
I would definitely recommend this vacation scheme to anyone enthusiastic about a career in commercial law and interested in what Norton Rose Fulbright has to offer.