Undertaking trainee tasks such as drafting commercial agreements and company reports, emailing correspondence and sitting in on client conference calls.
1. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
I thoroughly enjoyed the Placement Scheme. I had the opportunity to assist trainees, associates and partners on real life matters, attended numerous social events and had the opportunity to network with lawyers across all departments. Above all, the culture of the firm is friendly and non-hierarchical which makes for a pleasant working experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
From trainee, associate and partner level, the firm went out of its way to ensure that I was given high quality work. Lawyers from different practice groups made an effort to come and say 'hi' and to see how I was doing. Within my department, any work I had undertaken was used to assist with a client's matter which made me feel a valued member of the firm.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
During the week each Placement Scheme student is assigned a 'trainee buddy' who acts as your supervisor. They are on hand to answer any questions you have as well as sourcing you with work. My 'trainee buddy' was on hand to help with any questions I was too scared to ask a senior. They are a great support network and provide thorough guidance throughout the Scheme.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The Scheme has helped develop my understanding of what it takes to be successful in a law firm with an extensive global network. The Scheme also helped develop my networking skills and commercial drafting skills when tasked with drafting a deed of release of a guarantee.
5. How well structured was the insight?
At the beginning of the Scheme I was given a timetable. Each day was structured and tailored to either department time, assesment activities, networking lunches or social activities. Overall the Scheme was well structured.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The general atmosphere of the Scheme was great. The firm made a real effort to ensure that we had an enjoyable week.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
On the first day of the Placement Scheme I was given training on using research sites such as PLC and LexisNexis as well as training on how to use their computer systems. This was invaluable in hitting the ground running when placed in my chosen department.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
I was given the opportunity to assist on real matters and undertake typical trainee tasks. This enabled me to understand what it would be like to work at the firm on a full time basis.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
I had the opportunity to network with a wide range of people across the firm which enabled me to understand the firm's culture and why people enjoy working there.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
Each piece of work I produced and any assessments undertaken helped confirm my career path. The work was challenging yet exciting. The assessments were intense and demonstrated perfectly the pressures that lawyers are constantly faced to perform under. This is an environment in which I will thrive.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
The firm paid a £250 salary for the week
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Yes, networking and social activities were timetabled into the Placement Scheme. The highlight of the week was the 'speed networking lunch' which enabled me to network with lawyers from different practice groups for 10 minutes each.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
They were really good and well planned. As a group we went to Escape Rooms which was great fun but also honed my team working skills.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Yes, I found out that the firm is involved in many charitable projects across the year as well as pro bono initiatives at legal advice clinics.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
Yes, I would highly recommend undertaking this Placement Scheme. The firm has a great atmosphere and undertakes complex work. It has local connections with an extensive global network. It is an exciting firm to be part of.