1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my summer placement with Costain, so much so I voluntarily extended it from 9 to 14 weeks!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like a valued part of the team both during work and outside of work. I was trusted with carrying out tasks on my own and my level of competency was trusted.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Whenever I needed help it was available, however I naturally felt like I learnt more off other colleagues doing my role than my line manager.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were full on without a rest, some were more leisurely. Depends on what work the site had that day - I never felt bored though.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given all the responsibility of a site engineer.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel that my placement will not greatly assist with my academic studies, as I feel what I learn at university is a lot of theory and worlds away from what I experienced on site. However it has given me confidence which I can take forward.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Enjoyable but serious. When the work piled on everyone got on and worked well together, was also a jovial atmosphere when the work lulled.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well set up, clearly defined job role and management structure.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have been trained how to use Leica survey equipment and learnt how to set out for construction, I feel the personal development gained on my placement exceeds that of my degree.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The grad scheme is an appealing one and there seems to be opportunities for career progression for those who want it.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was only one other student on my site but we did get on well and are still friends now.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Rent was £115 (subsidised by company) and socialising is fairly cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good, I had my placement in my university town so enjoyed going to the same places.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had a celebration meal for 500,000 safe man hours which I really enjoyed.