Site Engineer at Costain

Southampton South West
Civil Engineering

7.2/10

Summer Placement

I thoroughly enjoyed my summer placement with Costain, so much so I voluntarily extended it from 9 to 14 weeks!

I felt like a valued part of the team both during work and outside of work. I was trusted with carrying out tasks on my own and my level of competency was trusted.

Whenever I needed help it was available, however I naturally felt like I learnt more off other colleagues doing my role than my line manager.

Some days were full on without a rest, some were more leisurely. Depends on what work the site had that day - I never felt bored though.

I was given all the responsibility of a site engineer.

I feel that my placement will not greatly assist with my academic studies, as I feel what I learn at university is a lot of theory and worlds away from what I experienced on site. However it has given me confidence which I can take forward.

Enjoyable but serious. When the work piled on everyone got on and worked well together, was also a jovial atmosphere when the work lulled.

Well set up, clearly defined job role and management structure.

I have been trained how to use Leica survey equipment and learnt how to set out for construction, I feel the personal development gained on my placement exceeds that of my degree.

The grad scheme is an appealing one and there seems to be opportunities for career progression for those who want it.

There was only one other student on my site but we did get on well and are still friends now.

Rent was £115 (subsidised by company) and socialising is fairly cheap.

Good, I had my placement in my university town so enjoyed going to the same places.

We had a celebration meal for 500,000 safe man hours which I really enjoyed.