1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The main goal of my presence in the team I was assigned was to complete and correct all the dirty works the former interns or current assistant didn't want to finish or to touch at all.
I struggled to get other assignment and ended up doing some research for me (related to the work) on my spare time. I asked to be working on another project, which took effect three weeks before the end of the internship. The project was interesting but lacked direction.
I am almost sure that all the work I have done there has been thrown away now.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was not even sitting within the team. They put me between a wall and an empty desk. Nothing has been done to make me feel part of the team, I have never been invited to any meeting, was not part of any mailbox (even if I have asked for it).
The second project I ave been working on, I received very positive oral feedback from the people I was working with. They told me they will be doing their best to get me in the team after the internship.
Those are just words. Nothing happened. After my departure, I mailed the HR to receive just a feedback for my internship, and never received any (but they spammed me to respond to this survey... so here you go!).
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager talked to me once, it was the day of the interview. Zero support nor guidance from him.
The projects I have been doing were barely supervised. For the second one, I admit I appreciated the autonomy I was having, but more guidance would have been helpful to be sure my work was helpful for the desk.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was managing my days the way I wanted. I could have really spend a week without doing any work if I wanted.
I was finding ways to keep myself busy, but the level of expectations was very low.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not given any. I was working on side projects consisting in correcting different macro bugs, or adding new features. The other project I did might have an impact since I created a new tool supposed to help backtesting trading strategy. I have no idea if it is used at the moment.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learned about the energy market, I knew absolutely nothing about it before. Most of the people were keen to spend time talking about their job (some not).
The technical skills required were only VBA, which I already knew (it was a pre requisite for the role).
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was friendly. People were accessible, whatever the role they were having. We were having lunch everyday between interns, sometimes going for drinks.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Lunch and learns sessions were organized every week to get to know other teams activities, which is a good initiative. We also had to prepare a presentation about the work we have been doing during the internship, to present during the last week. This was enjoyable, a presentation coach came to help us. I would say it was the highlight of the internship. It helped me to make progress on this point.
What is sad is that nothing is done within the team to welcome you. My boss gave me the impression he was asked to get an intern. As a result, I was asked to do all the tasks people have been avoiding for years, which is not exciting or rewarding at all.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects within EDF Trading are as low as it can be. None of the front office summer intern will be staying there.
I receive very positive feedback while I was there. The people I have been working with told me they will try to get me an offer. Before my departure I met up with on HR who told me about the opportunities she may contact me about.
I had no sign of life after I left. I sent the HR a mail two weeks after that has never been answered. I am very disappointed by this attitude.
Beside that, money wise EDF Trading pay way below the market average.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London, one of the most expensive city in the world.
EDF Trading, one of the trading company that pays its intern the less.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?