1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship. The atmosphere in the office was nice, and everyone was very friendly. The work was interesting and allowed me to add value to their products.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by my team. The tasks that I was given reflected this - they were not trivial and allowed me to make a contribution.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was incredibly supportive, and was more than happy to help when I asked.
Also, the initial two weeks of the placement, before being assigned a team, was dedicated to an intensive training course in C++, which was very helpful.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had a task to work on - most of the internship was based around one major project, with a number of smaller tasks throughout. I was nearly always busy, but the pace was good.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt I was given a good amount of responsibility, with tasks that reflected my level of experience, and I was mostly left to work independently on them. The main project I was given to work on required me to work directly with the code and allowed me to add value to the software.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have developed my C++ skills, which has been incredibly helpful as a number of my final year modules are C/C++ based, as well as more general skills such communication and analytical thinking.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly, and relaxed atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It felt well organised the majority of the time. There was a clear training plan during the first two weeks, and a number of tasks of increasing difficulty once joining the team.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Two weeks paid training before being put in a team. Following this, we were assigned a personal supervisor to provide guidance and was always available to help. A lot of time was taken to get us to a level at which we could contribute, and really get a lot out of time there.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Appealing. I have accepted a graduate position with them.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Good number of socials for the interns, including pub nights, curries and Frisbee golf.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
For a city, everything is pretty cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not bad. There's something for everyone.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?