I worked within the Hardware Engineering team and an intern
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A fantastic working environment with a brilliant and interesting work environment
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues at L3 were really welcoming and friendly and provided loads of support as I was working on projects and gave me fantastic opportunities to develop my skills in CAD and in the engineering environment
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There are meetings a few times a weeks where everyone gets to update their work to the whole group. The managers are really supportive in ensuring that everyone gets an equal amount of work and can enjoy their time at L3.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There is always work to be done and I was able to work at pace that suited me while I was still learning how to use various software and applications. Once I felt more confident I was able to take up more work on my own and there was always interesting work to be done
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given plenty of supervision during the early stages to ensure that I was doing the correct work, but within the first month, I was designing parts and phoning suppliers and had to be able to work independantly
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained skills in CAD and working in the engineering environment that have helped me not only with my studies, but also in my understanding of how a team in engineering functions and this is incredibly useful for my year long project in engineering.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was the perfect balance between fun and work, you could work hard and still have a chat in the office, it was a friendly and open environment.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Fantastically well organised, everything was well planned and everything ran really smoothly, I was incredibly impressed.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invested loads of time making sure that they knew I was doing and the other members of staff were really helpful in enduring that I was able to develop my skills as an engineer
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
L3 is a growing organisation and has a strong future in the UK answer the flight simulator market and has a fantastic long term plan for its growth
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social situation was really good and friendly with great opportunities to spend time with my colleagues
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I commuted to Crawley from home and the journey was quite cheap and it I still very easy to access by train, bus or car
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were social activities and well as multiple trips to help represent and promote L3 at pilot and engineering events