1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement and felt the company provided a well-rounded experience by giving me varying tasks over the course of my placement year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was treated as if I was a normal employee at the company, invited to all the social events, and made to feel welcome.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given guidance to some extent, however, there was an element of "being thrown in the deep end" with regards to certain activities. I personally find it easier to learn this way so I wasn't put off by it, but it may not work for others.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The busyness of my day grew over the duration of my placement as you might expect. The more I proved myself with tasks and activities, the more work I was trusted with, but it never became too much.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt I was given enough responsibility when appropriate. Towards the end of my placement I had taken on a core role within a major company project and this heavily contributed to my overall learning experience.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As a software engineer, I find that purely learning theory is not a good way to experience software design and development. A look into how a company designs, develops, and distributes its software was incredibly valuable experience. I took this knowledge with me into my final year, and I would say it definitely contributed to me earning a First Class degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere was good.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The organisation of my work placement got better over the year, but I would say it lacked in the beginning.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company has a good personal and professional development programme that really took off before I left for final year, it helped me to gain insight into how I could improve working full time as a young professional.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very good, there are plenty of avenues to choose if I want to come back and work full time.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was only one other placement student at the company working at the same time as me also in a completely different department, so we never got to socialise that much.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socialising is probably just about average, but it is the South East so you won't find anywhere that cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Pretty good, you might have to go to the next town to find a place you like but it's not awful by any means.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were the usual activities like football etc. but nothing out of the ordinary.