Junior Software Engineer (Placement Year) at L3 Commercial Training Solutions

Crawley South East
Aerospace/Aviation

7.7/10

7.6

I really enjoyed my placement and felt the company provided a well-rounded experience by giving me varying tasks over the course of my placement year.

I was treated as if I was a normal employee at the company, invited to all the social events, and made to feel welcome.

I was given guidance to some extent, however, there was an element of "being thrown in the deep end" with regards to certain activities. I personally find it easier to learn this way so I wasn't put off by it, but it may not work for others.

The busyness of my day grew over the duration of my placement as you might expect. The more I proved myself with tasks and activities, the more work I was trusted with, but it never became too much.

I felt I was given enough responsibility when appropriate. Towards the end of my placement I had taken on a core role within a major company project and this heavily contributed to my overall learning experience.

As a software engineer, I find that purely learning theory is not a good way to experience software design and development. A look into how a company designs, develops, and distributes its software was incredibly valuable experience. I took this knowledge with me into my final year, and I would say it definitely contributed to me earning a First Class degree.

The general atmosphere was good.

The organisation of my work placement got better over the year, but I would say it lacked in the beginning.

The company has a good personal and professional development programme that really took off before I left for final year, it helped me to gain insight into how I could improve working full time as a young professional.

Very good, there are plenty of avenues to choose if I want to come back and work full time.

There was only one other placement student at the company working at the same time as me also in a completely different department, so we never got to socialise that much.

The cost of living and socialising is probably just about average, but it is the South East so you won't find anywhere that cheap.

Pretty good, you might have to go to the next town to find a place you like but it's not awful by any means.

There were the usual activities like football etc. but nothing out of the ordinary.