I really enjoyed my time at Baker Mckenzie and the firm worked hard to make sure that all the interns had a good balance of work and social time. This made the time spent in the firm really beneficial as it helped me understand the ethos and culture of the firm.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
At all times I felt included in the teams that I was sat with. I felt the work I was given was valuable and actually assisted the team with their objectives and needs.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
I was always encouraged to ask questions of my trainee buddies and they were very helpful in giving me honest insight into the work I was doing and the pros/cons of the firm.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I gained a better understanding of the skills required in corporate law, and have tried to integrate them into my university work (e.g. succinct writing).
5. How well structured was the insight?
I was able to sit in two core seats within the firm which allowed be to balance depth of work with exposure across the firm. I thought that this structure worked really well. The sessions ran for us were well organised, engaging and pitched appropriately for our level.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
The group on my vacation scheme were extremely friendly as were the staff running the scheme. This made my time at Baker Mckenzie really enjoyable.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm spent a lot of time on us during our stay. Partners gave talks about their specialties and we were also given a presentation tutorial and exercise which was really helpful.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
I felt that after my scheme was over that I had a far better understanding of what it would be like to work at the firm full time.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The friendly and open nature of the firm was evident from the first day and this was a key factor in my decision to accept a training contract with the firm. Two weeks gives you lots of time to engage with the culture and understand if you are a good fit.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
I was paid in line with the industry average for such a scheme.
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
There were lots of opportunities to get involved in firm wide events (e.g. a charity talent show) which were a great way to meet people outside of my teams.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
There was an evening social organised each week which was a fun way to get to know my fellow interns outside of the office.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
I took part in some pro-bono work and also some of the firms sporting teams.
15. Would you recommend this insight to a friend?
Yes, it was a great way to get past all of the published literature about the firm and better understand what makes the firm tick.