Job role includes learning to manage a team of people in running the everyday store activities on either the foodhall or clothing and home.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement year with Marks and Spencer. It was always interesting and fast paced.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I enjoyed working with my colleagues of my level a lot. Everyone in M&S is really friendly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a lot of support by my colleagues and my line manager, you get the opportunity to move around departments which means you get to work with a lot of different people.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy! Each day was completely different, it was busy but in a fast paced environment.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Initially you are just a trainee in the store which gives you the opportunity to see all the different elements of the store. Towards the end when you are more confident you can be given a lot of responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed leadership skills which will be vital to any career I go into.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Although not really an office job, the environment as a whole was good fun and everyone was friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement programs although started with some structure is very much dependent on you and how you learn. You have the flexibility to move departments and move into new areas as per a discussion with your line manager. You have the opportunity to follow a structured programme if you would like.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The whole of my placement year was there for me to train and learn the role. There was no pressure to quickly learn, it is all about learning and therefore M&S invested a lot in me.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will be returning to M&S after completing my final year at university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were some oppuritunities to meet the others on placement.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I worked in Chelmsford and therefore accommodation wasn't too costly.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was ok.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Some opportunities although as you are management there is more limited options.