3 week insight scheme involving experience in two practice areas
1. To what extent did you enjoy the insight?
Enjoyed very much - really beneficial to experience two different practice areas, balanced well with socials and informative presentations.
2. To what extent did you feel valued during your time at the company or firm?
I really felt like I was given real work and therefore contributed to the work going on. Obviously without a law degree could only contribute so much but I really felt like everyone around me went out of their way to involve me in work and provide an insight into how it is day to day.
3. How much guidance/support did you receive during the insight?
A lot - especially from trainee buddies.
4. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and information you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The amount of exposure to trainees definitely helped to set me up for GDL and LPC, but I think most importantly just the constant networking and mixing with employees at different levels increased my confidence.
5. How well structured was the insight?
Very well, perhaps too many presentations on certain days, but it was definitely organized in a favourable way to be able to socialise with everyone on the scheme and gain exposure to two departments.
6. How was the general atmosphere during your insight?
Everyone was extremely friendly and went out of their way to help us with learning more about the different practice areas and getting us involved in high profile work. Graduate recruitment clearly put a lot of effort into making sure we all had a good, informative time.
7. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I would say 3 weeks is a short time to expect much personal training, but it was clear with taster sessions how we would get help in the future in our development.
8. To what extent did the insight help you to understand what it would be like to have a full time role with the company or firm?
Without the qualifications we could only work/contribute so much but I felt like I learned a lot about the culture of the firm and the expectations that were there for high quality work.
9. How much did the insight help you in understanding the company culture?
The networking events and Q&A sessions really allowed us to gain an understanding of what makes the firms work and how the collaborative culture operates.
10. How valuable was the content of the day in helping you to decide on your future career path?
Very valuable - confirmed my interest in commercial law and specifically at this firm because of the way we were exposed to work, treated like valuable employees of the firm and it allowed me to gain experience in practice areas I was initially unsure about.
11. Were you paid or reimbursed adequately for this experience?
12. Were there opportunities for networking and meeting other employees of the company or firm?
Many social and networking opportunities throughout the scheme, with many senior level employees also present. Beyond this we were encouraged to go for plenty of coffees with those around us or in different departments to learn more.
13. How were the networking/ social event opportunities?
They were a nice break from the work but also great to learn more on a personal level from those around us and to see how friendly people truly were, really showed the friendly culture.
14. Did you find out about activities that employees can get involved in outside of work?
Had an event showcasing the different societies and associations available to join.