Business Rates - I was tasked with completing rating appeals on a variety of property types taking them through from first inspection to eventual settlement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with GVA, so much so that I stayed beyond my placement and returned on a part time basis during my final year studies.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by colleagues as soon as I started at GVA, everyone was very appreciative of the work I completed and I was rewarded accordingly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was provided with all the support and guidance I required and more.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was always busy, there wasn’t a day where I was sat doing nothing. Although I was busy my managers where always mindful of my work load and never made it unachievable.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given significant responsibility fairly early on in my placement, however I never felt uncomfortable. I was eased into my responsibilities and knew that help and assistance was always available if I required it.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed both from working at GVA and the training provided will be invaluable to my degree and future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very good, everyone was extremely friendly and happy to help with any queries and by providing additional experience in other departments. There where regular office meetings and social events organised and subsidized by GVA.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was very well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
GVA invested a significant amount in me. I received all the training I required and undertook large amounts or additional training and CPD organised through GVA to count towards my APC. I also participated in mock APC interviews and had regular progress meetings.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The prospects of a graduate position are excellent, GVA appear keen to retain good placement students.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There where frequent team outings and fellow placement students and graduates where always keen to socialise.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in the centre of Manchester I found the cost of living quite high, however socialising could be done cheaply once you get to know the city.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There where often activities taking place outside of work and a number of these where subsidized by GVA.