Emebedded Hardware and Software Intern at Schlumberger

Placement (5-9 Months)
Oslo Europe
Electronic and Electrical Engineering Electronics

7.8/10

Worked on various embedded hardware and software projects including FPGA development, and working on various Xilinx development boards and tools.

Enjoyed the placement at lot. It was very technical and had a steep learning curve, while being mentored by some great people.

A lot of the work I did contributed in some way to the main project as a whole, and additionally my colleagues were very social out of work as well.

Supervisors were incredibly capable people to work with, and provided enough guidance where necessary both inside and outside of work. More importantly, it was a good balance between having guidance and the independence to work on your own accord.

There was always work to keep me engaged and like any other place there are days which are free and days which are more pressure.

The amount of responsibility in terms of both the equipment I used as well as the contribution to the project built steadily over the duration of my placement, and I had reasonable freedom to make my own decisions throughout the placement.

The placement opened a new avenue for a career path in embedded electronics, and so was very successful in that aspect.

Very lively, easy going and fun, even while being productive.

Very well organised. There were clear plans and deadlines set for the 6 months I was here, and whenever unforeseen changes came up, there were always other interesting tasks I could work on.

I would enjoy working at Schlumberger as not only is the technology they work on advanced and interesting, but there is also a unique flexibility to switch between tech or management career paths, as well as the opportunity for career progression in either paths.

Yes, when all the interns were in the office there was a very good social scene, and including this my colleagues were very sociable both in and out of work. Definitely hope to keep in touch with them in the future.

Considering the placement was in Norway, both the cost of living and socialising was high. However, the salary was enough to compensate for this.

The nightlife scene in Oslo is great fun.

Yes definitely. Partly because Norway is a great place to explore, however the company hosted socials and team buildings and have option of renting a company boat and a company cabin for very little cost.