Worked on various embedded hardware and software projects including FPGA development, and working on various Xilinx development boards and tools.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Enjoyed the placement at lot. It was very technical and had a steep learning curve, while being mentored by some great people.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
A lot of the work I did contributed in some way to the main project as a whole, and additionally my colleagues were very social out of work as well.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Supervisors were incredibly capable people to work with, and provided enough guidance where necessary both inside and outside of work. More importantly, it was a good balance between having guidance and the independence to work on your own accord.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was always work to keep me engaged and like any other place there are days which are free and days which are more pressure.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount of responsibility in terms of both the equipment I used as well as the contribution to the project built steadily over the duration of my placement, and I had reasonable freedom to make my own decisions throughout the placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement opened a new avenue for a career path in embedded electronics, and so was very successful in that aspect.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very lively, easy going and fun, even while being productive.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. There were clear plans and deadlines set for the 6 months I was here, and whenever unforeseen changes came up, there were always other interesting tasks I could work on.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would enjoy working at Schlumberger as not only is the technology they work on advanced and interesting, but there is also a unique flexibility to switch between tech or management career paths, as well as the opportunity for career progression in either paths.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, when all the interns were in the office there was a very good social scene, and including this my colleagues were very sociable both in and out of work. Definitely hope to keep in touch with them in the future.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Considering the placement was in Norway, both the cost of living and socialising was high. However, the salary was enough to compensate for this.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife scene in Oslo is great fun.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes definitely. Partly because Norway is a great place to explore, however the company hosted socials and team buildings and have option of renting a company boat and a company cabin for very little cost.