Strategic Planner at BuroHappold Engineering

Architecture Civil Engineering Computer Science Design Economics Education/Teaching Energy Engineering Environmental Environmental Law French Geography Market Research Mathematics/Statistics Property/Real Estate Public Sector/Governmental Publishing Science/Research

7.5/10

Strategic regional and urban planning focuses on capturing the competitive advantages of wider geographical areas. Unlike city masterplanning, its focus is on the importance of regional networks and establishing broader, mutual development objectives. It seeks to identify regional competitive advantages along with opportunities to align with national policies and budgets that can be drawn on to unlock them. We integrate technical specialisms and manage projects that are locked to a number of, sometimes competing, time schedules. By using quantitative, GIS-based modelling to test scenarios we can link spatial character with less tangible components such as economic profile, education, health, access to open space and infrastructure demand.

-I enjoyed my placement, as I now feel more confident that working in engineering consulting/urban analytics is a key interest of mine
- It inspired me to reach out to international offices in LA and New York, for study abroad year

- I felt values as I was given big responsibility to develop own methodology, and relied on for my own initiative and research to decide the best course of action
- Team members asked insightful questions and needed meaningful, researched responses.
- I was directly questioned when certain questions remained unanswered as people valued my response.

it did not meet our site terms and conditions
was helpful in introducing me to GIS plugns, and other members of SMART to gain appreciation of spatial work BH does
it did not meet our site terms and conditions
helpful in giving tips on how to use software
incredibly supportive with advice
with support when contacting global Senior Partners
it did not meet our site terms and conditions
when asked about work in Detroit and potential contacts across the world, help with dissertation ideas
it did not meet our site terms and conditions
for organising meeting about current research project

I delivered input for three projects during a 4 week placement, which meant I was particularly busy and often worked additional hours. However, because the projects were immensely enjoyable I did not mind this.

Given big responsibility to develop own methodology, and relied on for my own initiative and research to decide the best course of action.

I believe the technical skills developed during the placement will support me through my degree. To evidence this, I am applying for BuroHappold to sponsor me through my final research project, as the technical analysis is relevant to both my degree and the current work BuroHappold Cities team conducts.
- Develop appreciation for work in an engineering firm
- Develop GIS analysis skills
- Understand how to maintain/develop client relationships
- Work with a variety of cities, with different environmental issues, and cultures

The team were used to having interns so the level of responsibility and work I was given was perfect. However the placement could be improved by:

- Have a better handover system when intern leaves and another member of staff needs to pick up work.
- Organise more in house socials for BH interns to get together, not just YEF. After first day did not see some of the intern cohort again.
- Get interns to directly input into YEF events. Could bring fresh ideas to social calendar.

The firm allowed me to face challenges and overcome them. For example I:
o Experienced high level client call discussing project bid in Abu Dhabi (leisure development 3 mill sq meters).
o Discussed different client dynamics and challenges when working with less experienced clients who have a desire to work quickly.
o Discussed how to manage clients who want fast development, and implement an informed, evidence-based masterplan

Working in BuroHappold is appealling because of its flexibility. I have the opportunity to work and study for a part time masters, which would advance my technical skills in the field. In addition to this, I am able to travel to different offices to work and understand the different types of projects and the process through which city teams respond.

YEF was good and organised several events during the summer months. In addition to this the BBQs worked well and were a good chance to socialise.