1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed the internship greatly. The office was nice and relaxed which helped me settle in and everyone was so nice and helpful. The work was also very interesting and I got to do a wide variety of tasks that taught me various important techniques. My team, and the company as a whole, were very open and I felt like I could always go and see them if I needed assistance.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel that my team really appreciated the extra help they were getting towards their projects.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was always given help and support by my supervisor and team. Especially in the first few weeks when I needed a lot of assistance. My supervisor would drop anything he was doing to help me which go above and beyond what I would expect from them. Also my Manager and people overseeing my Internship were always available if I had any questions.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always has work to do and if I ever ran out, they would help me find more tasks to complete straight away. I usually had multiple tasks assigned to me so I rarely had times when I wasn't able to work on anything. And in the couple cases where I did have nothing to do for a few hours, my supervisor gave me extra training.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I felt I was given a good level of responsibility. They gave me tasks suitable to my experience and gave me a lot of freedom on those tasks, it really felt like they trusted me to do what I thought best. I often felt like they I had the same level of responsibility as any other team member which really helped me integrate into the team and feel like an equal.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My confidence in myself and my work has improved hugely over my time there which will be a massive help to me over the following years. They really present me to express any ideas or solutions to them which really helped me to produce some good work and will continue to help me throughout my studies and beyond.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was really friendly and welcoming, I felt I could talk to anyone. It was also, at the same time, a nice quiet atmosphere so I could concentrate on my work without distractions. It was the perfect atmosphere for me and how I like to work. Also the open style office meant that I felt we were all part of the same team, all working together.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
For the majority of the Internship it was extremely well organized. There was a clear plan during the 2 weeks of training and once I got in my team for the remainder of the Internship it was seamless. Also meetings are always scheduled and events are always scheduled and entered on my personal calendar with automatic reminders so I could never forget a meeting.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I feel like we were given a lot of software training, two weeks of training is a lot more than other places would give. Also, a 10 week long Internship is quite long, so a lot of time and resources were spent on our development. Therefore, I feel I have come out of the Internship having learnt more than I could have ever hoped for.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to go back and work for Autodesk if the opportunity presents itself.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Autodesk organized multiple social events over the Internship so we could all get to know each other, and the current graduates. I car shared with two other interns so we got to know each other really well. I also worked in the same department as another Intern so I got to interact with them a lot. All the Interns ate together at lunch which was great to see how everyone was getting on.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I am studying at the University of Birmingham so I lived in my university accommodation over summer so the cost of living was pretty good for me. I know a couple of the Interns struggled to find a cheap place to stay for the summer but I think they were successful in the end. The cost of socializing is pretty good as I live in a student area but the city of Birmingham as a whole is pretty good for socializing at a reasonably low cost.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Birmingham has a really good Nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?