Investment banking intern at HSBC

Banking - Investment

HSBC is a Top Employer

7.7/10

7.3

I enjoyed the fact that after our training, we were on the desks right away, working on things that were typical of an analyst. In addition, the numerous social events and lunch and learns meant that we could speak with other interns and gain a more wholesome view of the job than purely desk-based.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

I felt valued by my colleagues as they were willing to take the time to explain concepts to me. Moreover, I was always CC'd into emails for work that I was involved in, and was treated with respect most of the time. Most of the employees were extremely knowledgeable and willing to share this knowledge with me.

My supervisor and management were very accommodating and always made sure that I was doing alright, I was made to feel like a part of the team and would have business and general well being conversations. There was always a sense of interest rather than just asking for the sake of asking.

I was generally quite busy, although it depended on the day - sometimes I would be overwhelmed with work of a high quality (often numerical), whereas other times I would not have too much to do except research or basic menial tasks.

I was given less responsibility at first, so that I could learn the ropes, and then as I proved I was able to fulfill the tasks correctly, I was given more responsibility. This was good as it meant that I was always working towards a goal and enabled me to always strive to improve and do better.

The skills I learnt will assist me in my degree studies massively, as I was able to work efficiently, prioritise and deliver high quality work in short spaces of time, even after many hours of completing the work. This will mean that I will be able to keep on delivering high quality, efficient work throughout my studies and beyond.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

The atmosphere was very friendly and although there was a clear hierarchical structure, everyone would always say good morning and be willing to have a conversation with others. Everyone was very hardworking, but you could be sure to ask questions to others and be able to receive help from them.

The internship was very organised, there were clear structures and markers put in place for a variety of different things and there were always events to go to, in order to learn more, as well as responsive emails from those involved in helping the interns.

The firm invested in giving us the opportunity to set targets, which were reviewd in the middle and at the end of our internship, as well as equipping us with the computer programs that the analysts had so that we could earn sufficiently and do work similar to the analysts.

Future employment prospects are very appealing because it means that I have a sufficient grounding where I know what is expected of me and I will be happy to deliver the work to the aforementioned high standard.

During the week, we would work most of the hours of the day therefore there was not much of a social scene in terms of going out, but others would always be friendly and willing to have a conversation with you or grab food/coffee with one another,

It was relatively expensive as it is London, but considering it is the East End, it was not as bad as that of Central / West London. Commuting from far is not an option for the hours therefore it is beneficial that there is accommodation nearby.

The nightlife was quite good, especially in Central London. This is good for the hours that we were not working, however, you definitely spend more evenings in the office than in a nightclub or bar.

There were many opportunities to get involved with other things such as sports, sustainability, diversity networks and graduate / university events. This was helpful in allowing one to feel more involved in the organization.