Investment Banking Summer Analyst at HSBC

Banking - Investment

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.6/10

The internship was a highly challenging experience from which I was able to get an excellent idea of what an investment banking career would look like in a relatively short period of time. I was able to take responsibility for important and challenging work, which was both exciting and an excellent learning experience.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at HSBC

I felt my contribution was highly valued by my colleagues, who were happy to provide feedback on any of the work I had completed for them and were vocally appreciative of my contribution. They also always took the time to provide context to my work allowing me to understand the big picture of a situation that I was working on.

I was given a great deal of responsibility, but never felt I lacked the support to complete a task I was given. We had a significant amount of training before beginning our work, and once we started we were given increasing levels of responsibility as we showed our ability to work through each problem, and anytime I had a question, there was always someone to help.

The nature of investment banking work meant that there was constantly a lot of work to perform and my team did an excellent job of getting me involved and providing me with work to do. This obviously varied based on how much work there was available, however throughout the whole 10 weeks I always felt I had something I could be doing.

I was given a great deal of responsibility and this accelerated as I demonstrated my ability to perform the tasks I was asked to do. I started out editing small portions of slides and sourcing small data sets and within a few weeks was given responsibility for producing whole books and supporting live deals.

The soft skills I developed in time management and communication are transferable to any future project I work on. The more technical skills I was able to practice will be particularly useful, as I am hoping to pursue a career in investment banking in the long term, and will also give me a head start on my graduate studies, where I am planning to complete an MPhil in the coming year.