1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a really good internship which gave me a great insight into the engineering industry. I gained loads of skills and I would thoroughly recommend applying if you are either an engineer student, or you are like me, and are wishing to get some experience within a technical field.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given rather trusting tasks which was nice because I didn't feel like I was just there to make coffee. My colleagues really appreciated the work that I did, and they would never pressurize me nor give me too much to do.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My team was always very approachable and supportive. If ever I didn’t know how to do something, they would carefully explain it, and even book in meetings with me to sit down properly to go over some of the work that I was doing. I always had something to do but I was never overloaded.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had things to do, but most weren't urgent. I was never pressurized and if I didn't know how to do something, someone was always available to go over it with me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
It varied from doing research projects which were not too urgent, to corresponding with clients about issues that needed to be fixed within the next day. In saying that, if ever I didn't know what to do and there was a time constraint, my colleagues would always be there to guide me.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has really helped me figure out what I want to do after my degree. I didn’t have a clue when I first started, but having worked on loads of different projects, I have discovered that sustainability and renewable energy is what I’m really passionate about. Throughout the weeks, I found that I was interested in what kind of energy source a particular building was using; where do they get it from, how is it powered and is from a renewable source. It is definitely something that I would like to look into, and I am now considering a potential career in sustainability consulting.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very nice and friendly, a good mix of seniors and young professionals.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was all very well prepared. When I arrived they had a booklet with all the essential information I needed, and throughout the internship, everything seemed to run smoothly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had an induction day, as well as several training courses throughout my time at BuroHappold.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very, I want to apply for the graduate scheme after I leave.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good! There were socials nearly every week as well as sports clubs and activities.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Well Bath is not the cheapest of places to work, especially if you are commuting from Bristol everyday, but it's so worth it!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Quite good, although I didn't go out so much.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, loads of clubs and activities, and site visits.