Spring Vacation Scheme at Shearman & Sterling LLP

Legal/Law

9.9/10

I had a fantastic time - an ideal balance of genuine, varied and interesting work, combined with exposure to senior lawyers and a true insight into the working culture at the firm.

I felt that everyone went out of their way in order to give me appropriate and interesting work. Exposure to the Managing Partner through a Q&A/ discussion indicated how seriously the firm takes Vacation Schemes. Shearman also pulled out all the stops with socials - for example the trip to Duck and Waffle was fantastic and thoroughly enjoyed by everyone!

The Scheme was very well structured, and we were given a trainee buddy and associate mentor for each practice area we sat in. Any guidance/support required was readily given by anyone I met, in addition to a constant dialogue with the mentor/buddy with whom an office was shared (in each practice group).

Practice group overviews began my education of the work that passed through Shearman, and provided a starting point for beginning a thought process for choosing seats as a trainee.

Everything ran like clockwork thanks to HR - the timetable was kept to and I always knew what i needed to be doing at any given point due to great communication by everyone. This is something that is both very important and also not common to similar schemes!

Shearman made a real effort to absorb the Vacation Scheme students into the culture, which included many socials and other informal drinks/meals.
Everyone I spoke to was always willing to help - the collaborative culture was shown by lawyers asking each other for help, which I would definitely enjoy being a part of.

The Vacation Scheme confirmed my desire to pursue a career in law, and at Shearman as my preferred choice.

Considering the amount of money and time invested in us during the two weeks, this was an appropriate amount, higher than most other Vacation Schemes.

In both practice areas in which I was sat, I spoke to everyone in the team in that week. At each social everyone is willing to chat about their work, what they're up to and give you advice.

Social events were very good, fun, and not awkward!

I played football with the Shearman team - something that was easy to get involved in as an email was sent round. Everyone was very friendly and it was good to meet more lawyers that I hadn't met before. Was also nice to meet Shearman lawyers outside of work entirely.