Carried out general HR duties such as writing contracts. However, was involved greatly in organizing the placement fairs and also general staff activities. HR was a great department as you get to know and be involved with lots of other departments and really develop a good knowledge of the business.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Was a really great experience within a fantastic team and culture within the business. The training we received from our first day was amazing and I really felt valued as an employee.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by every member of staff within the company even up to Director level. The company went out of their way to make all interns feel welcome from the first day.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They provided me with great support and training from the first day. We had a detailed induction and learnt about the company which really made you feel involved as a result, and also meant you identified with the business early on in your years placement.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had a good workload and was constantly busy, however I felt supported and comfortable enough to ask for help if my workload ever got too much.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a good amount of responsibility and felt that I really made a difference within the company. I had responsibilities such as organizing marketing materials and visiting placement fairs top recruit for next years intake of undergraduates.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The year at RCI has made me more employable and means I will be far better equipped to face the challenging job market after university. It has also meant that I now have experience in a multi-national company and it has helped guide me in my future career path.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
RCI have just moved offices to Rickmansworth, this has made a huge difference to the company and made the office far more enjoyable and cohesive. We have a games room downstairs with a projector where you can play Fifa on your lunch breaks or watch TV. There is a big communal eating space where you can have meetings/relax on your breaks, there is also a fantastic library which is great for quiet breaks away from your desk.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The program was organized very well and all the interns received a full training schedule and had regular 1-1's to ensure we were settling in, meeting targets and felt comfortable.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The training we received was fantastic and I can honestly say that RCI has one of the best placement programs I have seen. The development I have gained is something which I will always be very grateful for.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
RCI now have a graduate program, however it is quite small still but is growing in future years I believe. My future job prospects with the company I would hope are good as I would love to go back and undertake a graduate position there as I enjoyed my year so much.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
They employ over 20 undergraduates so we regularly went on nights out together and to the pub after work. I lived at home however many interns house shared via a facebook group which was set up once they were successful in interview.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home, however the cost of living is reasonable as it isn't too close to London and the commute wasn't as unpleasant as many jobs in central London.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Watford is good, however we regularly went out in Watford and London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a running, football and yoga club along with a few others, so there is lots of opportunity outside of work