During my time on Industrial placement I have had the amazing opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects such as Dagenham bio-methane, access deterrent measures, LGT relief valves, Rhinology and the complex engineering project.
I have really enjoyed my placement at Cadent. I have had a good balance of been able to go out on site and working in the office environment which has been a really enjoyable and insightful experience to working life. I have been able to get involved with non technical projects as well as technical projects which has been a great experience.
Since the beginning I have felt valued by my colleagues giving me opportunities to present. Also everyone that I have spoken too has been very approachable and friendly which has been a major positive of my placement.
My line manager and I had monthly one to one meetings to discuss progress. The good thing bout my line manager is he was always in the office so at any point I could go and speak to him.
their are peaks and troughs in workload. at the beginning I didn't have that much so I used that to my advantage to go out on site and see as much of the business as possible and towards the end I was in the office busy with desk work.
I was given 2 projects that I could develop on my own which was daunting and a side supporting project role.
• Communication skills – Being able to actively listen to others and articulate your ideas in writing and verbally to any audience in a way where you are heard in order to achieve the goals you intended.
• Teamwork skills – Being able to work effectively with anyone with different skill sets, personalities, and work styles to achieve a better team result.
• Interpersonal skills – Effective at building trust, finding common ground and ultimately building good relationships with people at work and in your network.
• Presentation skills – Effectively presenting your work results and ideas formally to an audience.
• Meeting skills – Leading a meeting to efficiently and effectively reach productive results.
The general atmosphere in the office was a fun environment, a bit quite at times but that's mostly because everyone has lots of work to be getting on with. Fridays the office was very quite.
we had 4 reviews and monthly one to ones overall the placement was very well structured.
At the start there is 3 days training to cushion you into the business.
presentation skills course
at the end there is a 2 day course to help you reflect on the experience
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
I would really like a job with the organization however we don't find out if we have secured a graduate role till the last day of the placement after the end of year presentations.
Their was some good trips organized which allowed us to socialize with fellow students however apart from that there wasn't really much socializing outside of work.
lived in Leicester and commuted to Hinckley every day. it was fairly cheap the only expensive part was the petrol for commute as we lived in student accommodation so it was fairly cheap.
There isn't much nightlife in Hinckley,
nothing to my knowledge.
Placement Year (10 Months+)
24th August 2017
£16,000 - £17,999