During my time on Industrial placement I have had the amazing opportunity to get involved in lots of different projects such as Dagenham bio-methane, access deterrent measures, LGT relief valves, Rhinology and the complex engineering project.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have really enjoyed my placement at Cadent. I have had a good balance of been able to go out on site and working in the office environment which has been a really enjoyable and insightful experience to working life. I have been able to get involved with non technical projects as well as technical projects which has been a great experience.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Since the beginning I have felt valued by my colleagues giving me opportunities to present. Also everyone that I have spoken too has been very approachable and friendly which has been a major positive of my placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager and I had monthly one to one meetings to discuss progress. The good thing bout my line manager is he was always in the office so at any point I could go and speak to him.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
their are peaks and troughs in workload. at the beginning I didn't have that much so I used that to my advantage to go out on site and see as much of the business as possible and towards the end I was in the office busy with desk work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given 2 projects that I could develop on my own which was daunting and a side supporting project role.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
• Communication skills – Being able to actively listen to others and articulate your ideas in writing and verbally to any audience in a way where you are heard in order to achieve the goals you intended.
• Teamwork skills – Being able to work effectively with anyone with different skill sets, personalities, and work styles to achieve a better team result.
• Interpersonal skills – Effective at building trust, finding common ground and ultimately building good relationships with people at work and in your network.
• Presentation skills – Effectively presenting your work results and ideas formally to an audience.
• Meeting skills – Leading a meeting to efficiently and effectively reach productive results.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office was a fun environment, a bit quite at times but that's mostly because everyone has lots of work to be getting on with. Fridays the office was very quite.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
we had 4 reviews and monthly one to ones overall the placement was very well structured.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
At the start there is 3 days training to cushion you into the business.
presentation skills course
at the end there is a 2 day course to help you reflect on the experience
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would really like a job with the organization however we don't find out if we have secured a graduate role till the last day of the placement after the end of year presentations.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Their was some good trips organized which allowed us to socialize with fellow students however apart from that there wasn't really much socializing outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
lived in Leicester and commuted to Hinckley every day. it was fairly cheap the only expensive part was the petrol for commute as we lived in student accommodation so it was fairly cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There isn't much nightlife in Hinckley,
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?