1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my internship. It was a great experience, which I would strongly recommend!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very much valued by my colleagues, and was respected in the workplace. I was treated as a real member of the team and more like an actual developer rather than an intern. I would have only hoped that there would be more social activities with the team after work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support and guidance by management/my supervisor was brilliant. If I needed help my manager was more than happy to point me in the right direction. If I had any concerns my manager would listen and suggest solutions to fix them.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was quite busy on a daily basis, meaning that I was quite "stressed" and had to work longer some of the time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was allowed to work on several projects all by myself and present what I made to the business. My work is or will be actually used by the company.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I learned a lot of new programming skills, which will be very helpful to my degree studies. Moreover, I improved my communication and organisational skills through a lot of networking and getting involved in the community. We had weekly speak series for all interns (from all divisions) and also a technology specific series.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very relaxed and welcoming. Everyone is very friendly and easily approachable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The structure of the internship was well organised including weekly speaker sessions. However, the IT setup at the start was not very well organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had quite a lot of talks with senior management, and were given a lot of opportunities to access material to learn new skills. Also, everyone in the company is very welcoming and willing to help you if you ask. So, the investments made in me by the company was very good (clear and large), which gave me confidence in my own ability to do the job.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If you have good work-ethic and do a good job, then the prospects for employment are good.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, we had lots of events with other interns and industrial placements.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The internship is based in London, so very expensive. London being the capital, there is a lot of different socialising options (something for everyone).
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was perfectly good enough to enjoy. But as it is based in London, so very expensive.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, there were a lot of opportunities to volunteer for charities or participate in organising events. This was actively encouraged by management.