Database Engineering, I handle microservices in databases
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was a rewarding experience to be in the banking technology sector as an engineer. The location is in the heart of London, and many a fun times were to be had in this duration. I also had the chance to meet many other talented interns who had many of their own experiences to share and learn from.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was given a project to work on, and throughout the project I was given much guidance and support in a field I was fairly new to. However, due to the busy nature of their work, it was sometimes difficult to get a hold of the people who could give me the best advise
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management and supervisors sets up meetings and catch up sessions regularly to keep themselves updated of my progress, and provide support and insight if I require it. They were also keen on finding the type of work I was interested in to set up some shadow opportunities.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the nature of my work, it was mostly research orientated, so I spent my days gathering information on related fields so that I may put them to use at a late date, hence I could pace myself and not overwork myself, as such I was able to give myself plenty of rest and not overwork myself.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a project that could potentially introduce a new process into the bank, hence the responsibility though was not time urgent, was tremendous. I enjoyed the opportunity thoroughly. I was also given opportunities to observe and learn important processes, so that I could incorporate them in my work.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It will help me branch out and pursue a more technological path in the financial world, and has opened up new platforms for me that will be extremely useful for my final year. I also acquired valuable training in communication and teamwork that will be useful undoubtedly in my academic career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone was absorbed in their work, and many discussions and debates were had in the office, so simply listening in would help me understand a lot about the state of operations and the work that is being done here on a daily basis. It is usually never quiet, which is personally non-ideal because I prefer a silent workspace when programming
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Extremely well organised. Many events were held to give supplementary and cross divisional training so our training and learning experience was given priority. There was also many well organised opportunity events that allowed for networking within peers and with senior staff.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given many training resources and opportunities to pick up new skills relevant to my work. I was also given much advice on how to improve the quality of work and the best ways to maximise my time here. I was also given valuable advice on the choices I should make should I be chosen for the placements.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would enjoy working here given the opportunity. It would be a good career choice.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Social scene was very good. Colleagues are very outgoing and there was always plans to go out in the evenings and during weekends. Many varieties of activities are usually planned to keep things interesting and fresh.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living and socialising was affordable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I do not participate in the nightlife much
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were corporate social responsibility events that were very enjoyable.