1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The 6 week internship was a fantastic overall experience with exposure to a wide variety of clients, and therefore industries, during the process. The work was varied day to day and the different teams I worked with during the time were great. At times the individual tasks are challenging and seem repetitive, however, with practice you get better and so more efficient.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I couldn't have asked for better colleagues. I was made to feel welcome, comfortable and valued from the first day. I felt that the work I was given was important and valued by my colleagues which made the internship more rewarding. There was constant feedback on how to improve and also always some to go to with any questions.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My counselling manager was very good and kept in regular contact when I wasn't working with them. On the first day they walked me through, in more detail, what the internship would involve and what work I had lined up. They always gave their time to assist me with any issues I had with work or any questions I had about the industry in general.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days I was kept busy - but at a manageable level. I was given a realistic number of tasks and given an appropriate amount of time to finish work for any deadlines. There were times towards the end of the week where I had less client work to do, but we had a project involving other interns to work on during this period.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility but again at a manageable level. The work I was given was important but not too challenging that I couldn't complete it and it was ultimately me that was responsible for certain sections of a client job.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Although unrelated to my degree, I picked up both the technical skills required to work in the industry and enhanced softer skills that will be applicable in all areas of working and studying. My confidence in the work place and engaging confidently with clients was probably the most valuable skill I developed.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was relaxed yet focussed and provided a good balance. It was a good working environment while also being able to chat informally with everyone in the office.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised. I always knew what I was going to be doing, where to be and when I would be there.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were a couple of training courses, one at the end and one at the beginning, as part of the internship. A number of colleagues gave great advice on technical and other matters.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Offers have not been made yet, but had a good feeling during the internship and would certainly accept the offer if it comes.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was the only intern in Edinburgh though myself and the two interns from Glasgow met up a number of times for belters of nights out in Edinburgh. I also enjoyed the time spent at the beginning and end of the internship wit the interns from across the UK, there was a great atmosphere and we all had a laugh together.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Edinburgh is expensive compared to some places
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Top notch. There's something for everyone in Edinburgh, whatever you look for in a night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a company wide football tournament roughly half way through the internship.