1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed elements of my internship. Getting to know and socialising with my team was definitely the best part.
The work was quite varied. On some days I was very busy and on others I had nothing to do at all.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued and welcome by the team at BDO.
I was assigned a buddy who constantly ensured that I understood the tasks that I was completing and also made the effort to look for work for me to do when it was quiet in the office.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was very helpful in giving me support and guidance and ensured that I felt comfortable and was busy with work. He took me through key concepts and definitions that I needed to know before starting the internship. This meant that once I started I was fully prepared to undergo any work that I had been tasked with.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the beginning of the internship I was very busy an inundated with tasks to complete. I enjoyed this period of the internship as I had lots of tasks to do and engaged in interesting, stimulating work. However, after the third week it became extremely quiet and I had no work at all to do. I had to keep myself busy and was very tired by the end of the day since I was sitting round for hours doing nothing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was not given much responsibility, most of the tasks I did were just below trainee level and I did a few admin tasks such as scanning documents. Some more responsibility would have been nice and would have given me further insight into the role that I would be doing if I was given an offer to work in that specific department.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?