1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my internship at BDO, as I learnt and experiences a wide variety of things. I really enjoyed visiting various client sites and getting to know them on a personal and professional level, whilst also learning more about their individual companies. I also loved meeting my colleagues who were very welcoming, and it was great to network with a number of professionals.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
As soon as I stepped into the office I felt very valued by my colleagues, as they were all very welcoming and I instantly felt comfortable. Whenever I needed help everyone was ready to answer my queries, and were able to help with whatever I needed. Not only this, but I immediately felt part of my team, being delegated tasks very early on.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a huge amount of support and guidance from my manager, as he constantly checked in to see how I was doing. This was great to see, and meant I could freely ask for help and advice whenever I needed. He also guided us in the right direction and supported us through every piece of work we completed, so that we always felt we were on the right track.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was constantly busy, whether I was based in the office or on client site. This was great as I experienced a wide variety of work, which enabled me to see exactly what the job would entail full time. Even when I rarely had no more work to complete, I asked around the office and my colleagues were very happy to give me work that I could help them with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From the very beginning I was given a large amount of responsibility, which really appealed to me. I enjoyed carried out tasks which were of great significance and loved making an impact on the firm as a whole. The amount of responsibility early on was an aspect of BDO that really attracted me before joining, and they did not fail to live up to my expectations.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Throughout the past 6 weeks, I have developed a huge amount of skills and knowledge which will not only help me in my third year of university, but also beyond that in my career and general life. I have learnt a wide variety of technical skills and training, which will help me in my Audit career. Not only this, I have further developed many other skills, including social skills, and organisation skills. Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at BDO, and have gained an invaluable experience.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in my office was extremely welcoming and friendly, whilst also being professional. It was great to be based in an office with such a wide variety of interesting people, which made the job even more enjoyable. Overall, the atmosphere in the office was social yet a place to work hard and achieve results!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was very well organised, especially the induction week and training day. On top of this the time on client site was very well organised, knowing exactly where the client was located, who they were and the work we needed to complete, well before we went on site.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm ensured we were all technically trained within the first training week in Birmingham. This ensured everyone was at the same level and could use the technical software at the same standard. Not only this, but they delivered the training in a very engaging and interesting way, making the learning process a lot easier.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The future employment prospects are extremely appealing and I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 6 weeks. Should I be fortunate enough to be offered the job, I would love to work with BDO as they are a friendly yet professional firm, which have exceptional client service which is exactly what I look for. On top of everything the people have been amazing; working with a diverse range of colleagues and clients has been an invaluable experience.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, my office had a good social scene, and I attended an office barbecue during my 6 weeks there. This was a great oportunitiy to met new colleagues and learn more about working life at BDO. The induction week and training days were also very social, with many organised activities which were great for teambuilding and getting to know the other interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?