Working in the corporate tax department, completing computations and tax returns, a taste of tax advisory.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Working in the tax department in BDO has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience that has given me many of the tools I need to join the industry and confidence that this is the right sector for me.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All my contributions have been given the same consideration as those by other more experienced members of the team and everyone has been really welcoming.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My managers were keen to be kept up to date on how I felt I was doing and whether there were any areas of work I would like to find out more about or anything I was finding challenging. Their feedback was always constructive and coming from a positive place.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was generally quite busy in that I always had plenty of work I could be getting on with but that was entirely down to me - the managers were always very careful to make sure that there was a balance and that I wasn't being given more or less than I felt able to deal with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility from the start, which is really positive as it meant I was able to get a real idea of what working in finance would be like in the long run and made me feel like I was making valued contributions.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think the time management, prioritising and interpersonal skills that I have developed throughout this internship will be great for applying to my degree as I go back to juggling essays rather than client work.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was comfortable and fun with plenty of laughter in the background
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall the internship was well organised, although some of the plans changed without massive amounts of notice. This didn't cause any major problems though so it was fine.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a week of training at the start of the internship and any time I was looking to develop a new skill the managers were great and took as much time as I needed to help me out.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is plenty of room and encouragement for progression through the ranks at BDO and I hope to start working towards being a certified tax accountant with BDO when I graduate.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were always invites to any social event that was being organised within the office and the odd impromptu trip to the bar for drinks after work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I already had accommodation in the local area so that wasn't an issue and the cost of eating out and drinks was pretty reasonable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in Birmingham is great if that's your thing. I tend not to go clubbing but there are a lot of nice pubs and bars around as well.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There was one major event planned during the internship, which included a trip to Reading and a private room in a club for the night. We were also invited to any other events being organised.