Business Tax Intern at BDO

Birmingham South West

BDO is a Top Employer

8.8/10

9.7

Working in the corporate tax department, completing computations and tax returns, a taste of tax advisory.

Working in the tax department in BDO has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience that has given me many of the tools I need to join the industry and confidence that this is the right sector for me.

All my contributions have been given the same consideration as those by other more experienced members of the team and everyone has been really welcoming.

My managers were keen to be kept up to date on how I felt I was doing and whether there were any areas of work I would like to find out more about or anything I was finding challenging. Their feedback was always constructive and coming from a positive place.

I was generally quite busy in that I always had plenty of work I could be getting on with but that was entirely down to me - the managers were always very careful to make sure that there was a balance and that I wasn't being given more or less than I felt able to deal with.

I was given a lot of responsibility from the start, which is really positive as it meant I was able to get a real idea of what working in finance would be like in the long run and made me feel like I was making valued contributions.

I think the time management, prioritising and interpersonal skills that I have developed throughout this internship will be great for applying to my degree as I go back to juggling essays rather than client work.

The atmosphere was comfortable and fun with plenty of laughter in the background

Overall the internship was well organised, although some of the plans changed without massive amounts of notice. This didn't cause any major problems though so it was fine.

We had a week of training at the start of the internship and any time I was looking to develop a new skill the managers were great and took as much time as I needed to help me out.

There is plenty of room and encouragement for progression through the ranks at BDO and I hope to start working towards being a certified tax accountant with BDO when I graduate.

There were always invites to any social event that was being organised within the office and the odd impromptu trip to the bar for drinks after work.

I already had accommodation in the local area so that wasn't an issue and the cost of eating out and drinks was pretty reasonable.

The nightlife in Birmingham is great if that's your thing. I tend not to go clubbing but there are a lot of nice pubs and bars around as well.

There was one major event planned during the internship, which included a trip to Reading and a private room in a club for the night. We were also invited to any other events being organised.