Particle physics work experience at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

Oxford South East
Science/Research

This review was written using a previous version of questions that were updated in 2013

6.1/10

I was working on beam alignment for the ISIS accelerator. I did small amounts of practical work with model lasers, but mostly did programming in Visual Basic.

The people working there were very friendly and kept you busy.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

My supervisor was very enthusiastic and appreciated all the work I did

My supervisor made keeping me busy and looking after me a priority.

I wasn't pushed to work extremely hard, just as much as I could reasonably achieve in a day. I didn't get bored at all.

I was guided very well through the tasks and wasn't left to work on my own very much.

I learned to program in Visual Basic which I'm sure will be useful in the future.

Imagine yourself working at Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)

My supervisor was very chatty and we got on well.

They take on a lot of people for placements and work experience so it is very well organised.

They trained me in Visual Basic and a few other skills that I hadn't had before.

They take on a lot of people for work experience and I still have a lot more studying to do before I am ready to apply for a job so they didn't offer me one.

The fellow students were very friendly and we ate lunch together.

The area is fairly expensive, but affordable if you are sensible

There are lots of bars and clubs in Oxford which can be enjoyed

There wasn't anything official organised