1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The placement was very flexible. I did not have to sit at my desk the whole time and was able to manage my time. I had a good time and a good manager and no issues with either. I enjoyed the large interns community.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At the beginning my work colleagues were a little "shy", however soon they realised that I can complete tasks quickly and effectively, so I was given more tasks. They valued my work.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
It was sometimes hard to get support from other departments and I had to chase up some issues multiple times. My supervisor however supported me fully.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There were times when my day would be super busy with multiple projects at the same time and there were days where I had very little to do e.g. after the finish of a large project.
The amount of work also very much depends on how much effort you want to put in and how much you are willing to do it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was responsible for a large software introduction at 2 plants. I had to prepare data and was not supervised at all.
I did not give any presentation to higher management.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement was not related to my degree, I have however developed my soft skills and gained extensive IT skills, since I had to deal with new software on a regular basis. I believe that the placement will definitely help me in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I really liked tha atmosphere. It was fairly quiet so you were able to concentrate well but you were able to freely speak anytime.
People were all easy-going and I have not experienced any arguments or drama.
Dress code: most people just wore a polo and black trousers but you were free to wear anything.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The beginning was a little rough. I received the information on my placement very late and it was hard to get in touch with HR.
The placement here very much depends on the department you are in.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was able to go on a week long course provided by an external German company as well as go abroad on a business trip.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I did not get any further offers but I believe that it would be very easy to start working for the BMW Group again.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there is a large interns community with weekly social on Thursdays plus some events on the weekend.
Within the department we had events once a month.
This is I think one of the big pluses here! You will not get bored :)
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Oxford is expensive. Accommodation is around £500 and going out is quite pricey too. It's hard to save money.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are a few clubs in the city centre. During term you are able to go out to some Oxford Uni colleges.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, you are able to join the university clubs or any other sports clubs.