Assistant Marketing Controller at L'Oreal

Hammersmith Central London and City
Accountancy Financial Management

L'Oreal is a Top Employer

7.9/10

L'Oreal splits its finance department into two teams, commercial and marketing, So essentially I was the assistant financial controller for the marketing budget.

My tasks were mainly ad-hoc, but it involved a lot of SAP, Excel and general computer skills.

Was really enjoyable. There is a nice 'young' culture at L'Oreal. Every month they have a mini-party upstairs and the teams are close-knit, which makes it nice to come into work.

Of course this is biased to me, I helped out my manager hugely and saved her so much work by automating processes, so I particulary felt extremely valued. But if you do good work then you will be valued!

In general most interns sit next/opposite their manager which means they are there on a regular basis. My team worked very well together aswell so anyone could help me with any problems.

There was a lot of work to do, but there was a lot of admin. This means when you are involved in a project and really busy it is perfect but then the admin to follow up keeps you busy but in a boring way - although this is to be expected from any job.

I was allowed to do what I wanted really. You are really free as long as you are capable. But where I worked it was difficult to 'run the show' as managers etc have the authorisation to do things which interns cannot.

Excel is key at L'Oreal, the Excel skills you gain here you will keep for the rest of your life. Also training on SAP which is very useful.

Was good. Nice people, friendly atmoshphere, good laughs, but it's nothing like Uni!

L'Oreal has a great scheme set up for interns. Honestly it is amazing. They have their own monitoring, auditing and evaluating process and you are given contact in HR if there is ever a problem. The HR department are fantastic, they will help you and make sure managers are nopt just giving you the rubbish!

They really try to help you out and develop you as the interns in many cases come back and eventually become managers.

People seem to progress very quickly within L'Oreal, so for career development they are good.

Interns go out together and friends have lunch each day.

Standard for London really.

Some really nice pubs with amazing views over the Thames and beer gardens.

They aren't too well advertised to be honest but there are clubs e.g. Football team.