1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement at Nissan Motors GB i felt i was given a lot of responsibility within my role and was trusted to make decisions independently.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt really valued by my colleagues. As i team i felt we all worked really well together and supported and helped each other when needed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I received a lot of support on placement. My line manager and i had weekly 1-1s to discuss anything i needed help with as well as having regular catch up with other members of my team and HR. My line manager was so support of me and the decision i took within my role, as well as always being there to guide me in difficult situations.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It varied day to day how busy i was, some days were really busy which reflected the time of year and other days were quieter, On the quieter days i tried to get ahead with any projects i was working on. Overall the balance was good, and i never had days where i was 'clock watching'.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At the beginning of my placement i could never have imagined how much responsibility i would gain throughout this experience. My team were incredibly trusting of my work and allowed me to really make things my own.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed my skills in time management, people management and organisation over the course of my placement, i really hope to utilize these skills in my final year and put as much organisation into my dissertation. i feel like doing a placement has really helped me grow into a work place professional and i hope this will give me an edge in the competitive graduate sector.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was good in the office generally people were very happy and chatty. Fridays were always a bit more of a buzz due to the impending weekend and 4 O'Clock finish!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The HR team ensured that the placement was incredibly organised. From the handover period of two weeks, right down to organizing training and ensuring regular catch ups were held. Overall i could not find fault in the structure of the placement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were training courses offered throughout the year from soft skills to practical skills, however there was not set training course for IPs. I attended a lot of the training, but the emphasis was on you as an individual to sign up to these courses.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Nissan have a graduate scheme which as an Ip you can apply for with the opportunity of gaining a job offer or being fast tracked to the assessment centre, which i feel is a great opportunity. However, this graduate scheme is sales and Marketing based, it would be nice if a more general management scheme was also run.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was 7 other industrial placement students in which to interact, as well as others across the business, there was the opportunity to meet up outside of work should you want to. If you get a good social group together it is easy to organise to meet up outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was lucky to live at home for this placement so the cost of living was relatively cheap for myself. Given that the placement is so close to london socializing, especially in bars/clubs can be expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
As i lived at home in london the nightlife was really good with lots of things to do on the evenings and weekends. Around where Nissan Gb is based it is quite quiet, however there are nice pubs and restaurants nearby which are nice to go to in the evenings, as well as being accessible to london by both the train and tube.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a couple of sports teams at work which you could get involved in if you wanted to, as well as opportunities to raise money for charity.