Helping to provide engineering governance to operations taking place on Portsmouth Naval Base
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a great placement, the people really made it and I would recommend to anyone who asked.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was allowed to get into the depths of projects and was supported by my team in doing so. This meant that I could start making a difference so I felt very valued by the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was supported by my manager and other managers across the business to go for stretch assignments as well as making decisions about different projects
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Constantly busy - it got overwhelming at times however, I personally would rather be too busy than not have enough work. I also found it to be a challenge
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the opportunity to manage multiple projects during my placement so was given a lot of responsibility
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I has been a massive confidence boost which will help in my career. I was also made to face some of my weakness in certain situations and they have slowly become strengths - there is still room for improvement but I feel more able to recognise this now. My technical knowledge has improved massively as well as my understanding of the HSE and legislations that govern certain aspects of the industry.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone is busy so there is a constant buzz of people working and tapping away or taking phone calls. The office is also rather big so people are close by if you need to ask any questions.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Pretty good, there were a few long pauses and bits where there weren't a lot to do but this was more to do with waiting for other people to go through security rather than because there wasn't anything planned.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was sent on several external courses as well as given the opportunity to do vast amount of online training so I felt like I received a lot of training and development opportunities from the company
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to come back for BAE, my only reservation is that I don't know what I will want to do when I graduate in 2 years. If I had to chose today for September, I would go onto their graduate scheme.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, within our placement intake and across other schemes (apprentices, graduates etc.) - always an opportunity for a social
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I go to university in the same city I work so I was adapted to the prices - it is fairly pricy but no more than most places in the South.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I enjoy it - but I go to uni here so definitely bias!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were, I just didn't get involved in them so can't comment.