Mechanical Engineering Industrial Placement Student at BAE Systems

Portsmouth South East
Mechanical Engineering

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

9.1/10

Helping to provide engineering governance to operations taking place on Portsmouth Naval Base

I had a great placement, the people really made it and I would recommend to anyone who asked.

I was allowed to get into the depths of projects and was supported by my team in doing so. This meant that I could start making a difference so I felt very valued by the team.

I was supported by my manager and other managers across the business to go for stretch assignments as well as making decisions about different projects

Constantly busy - it got overwhelming at times however, I personally would rather be too busy than not have enough work. I also found it to be a challenge

I was given the opportunity to manage multiple projects during my placement so was given a lot of responsibility

I has been a massive confidence boost which will help in my career. I was also made to face some of my weakness in certain situations and they have slowly become strengths - there is still room for improvement but I feel more able to recognise this now. My technical knowledge has improved massively as well as my understanding of the HSE and legislations that govern certain aspects of the industry.

Everyone is busy so there is a constant buzz of people working and tapping away or taking phone calls. The office is also rather big so people are close by if you need to ask any questions.

Pretty good, there were a few long pauses and bits where there weren't a lot to do but this was more to do with waiting for other people to go through security rather than because there wasn't anything planned.

I was sent on several external courses as well as given the opportunity to do vast amount of online training so I felt like I received a lot of training and development opportunities from the company

I would love to come back for BAE, my only reservation is that I don't know what I will want to do when I graduate in 2 years. If I had to chose today for September, I would go onto their graduate scheme.

Yes, within our placement intake and across other schemes (apprentices, graduates etc.) - always an opportunity for a social

I go to university in the same city I work so I was adapted to the prices - it is fairly pricy but no more than most places in the South.

I enjoy it - but I go to uni here so definitely bias!

There were, I just didn't get involved in them so can't comment.