CMS Academy Vacation Student at CMS

london Central London and City
Commercial Law

9.3/10

9.7

CMS Academy (Next Generation Vacation Scheme)

The CMS Academy has been thoroughly enjoyable. The first week learning about the Business of Law was a valuable week but also very enjoyable, with a lot of team work and interactive opportunities. The second two weeks (the internship) have also been very enjoyable, as my team were very welcoming and supportive, allowing me to feel like part of the team. Additionally the socials that were organised for us have been a lot of fun, althought it would have been nice to have had at least one social during the second week rather than all of them in the first and third weeks.

My team gave me real work to get on with which meant that I felt that I was valued and really part of the team.

The trainees in particular gave me a lot of guidance and support - whenever I had any questions or queries they were happy to help. That said, my trainee buddy being in a different department made it difficult to ask him for guidance, I had to turn mostly to other trainees.

The last three weeks have been a steep learning curve, and everything that I have learnt I believe will serve me well in my future career as a lawyer. The Business of Law week was particularly informative and allowed me to get to know the firm well and learn about the changing landscape of law.

The first week was very well structured which was good as it eased us in, although in comparison we received very little information about the second two weeks. I would have preferred to know which department I was spending my time in more ahead of time, rather than the Friday evening before I started.

The general atmosphere has been great, all of the staff at CMS have been hugely helpful and kind.

The first week of the scheme was a steep learning curve where we received a lot of training. We learnt about the firm itself and about the wider world of law, as well as receiving insight into client relationships.

Very much - I was exposed to a lot of work that a trainee would undertake which gave me a real insight as to what it would be like to work day to day with the firm.

Because of various social events ocurring in my department, I received an insight into the company culture which was particularly useful post-merger.

Very - because I received a real insight into the firm it gave me an idea as to whether or not it would be a good fit for me and vice versa.

Yes there were - particularly in the first week.

Very good - although as mentioned I would have preferref that there be more socials in the second week (the first week of the internship).

We were not given much insight into this, I wish we had been told sooner about sport opportunities particularly as I would have loved to get involved during my time here.