Working in IG Equipment & Systems for three core groups:
-High Pressure Equipment - Technical Support
-Customer Engineering -Technical Support
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Could not have asked for a better year! Work was dynamic and diverse. There was not a day that i found boring.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You feel a member of the team and the company. Work is valued and used by the company which means you can see your work go towards something!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management on all levels were incredibly friendly and supportive. Everyone is friendly and happy to go above and beyond on anything you're struggling with.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy. Work was dynamic and diverse so it was always exciting. New projects crop up all the time which add to buzz of doing the already exciting work.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot! Was eventually tasked to lead projects and investigations. Managers give full support and help during this.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Both technical and soft skills have been developed significantly! Working at a company is completely different to uni but the skills developed get your mindset into a routine which will certainly be beneficial at uni.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Fantastic! People are very friendly and happy to help any time (no matter how much you bother them). There's a great social atmosphere and fun that's been had. There is a diverse work force and a great respect for one another. Even though I was an intern, my opinions, thoughts and comments were always valued and respected. Senior managers are also very approachable and happy to have a chat about career advice and experiences.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised! Very well structured and very good communication!
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Air Products really invested its time and resources in me. The amount of training and support given has been incredible. Technical training is ongoing throughout the year (even though) I'm an intern! Other training like root cause analysis and safety training is also easily accessible.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
If the opportunity is available it would be my number 1 choice!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There's a fantastic graduate community. Social events happen usually every other week. There are Christmas parties with the whole office; a good place to bond and network.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living in Surrey is quite expensive, but for a year its not too bad.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife in Hersham is non-existent. However, like i mentioned before, there is an incredible graduate community and there are regular socials in Clapham and Surbiton, not too far from Hersham.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?