Technical Laboratory Assistant at BMW Group

BMW Group is a Top Employer

7.7/10

7.6

6.5

As part of my role at Plant Oxford, it was always stated that it was important for me to be a full working member of the process team, as well as carrying out my designated project. Therefore as part of the day to day work as a Process Laboratory Technician, I carry out standard paint process tests such as well as sealant adhesion tests. Before the paint is applied to cars, I also check the viscosity of paints to check it falls within set specifications. In addition to this, I perform a variety of rheology tests on both PVC’s and cavity waxes which are used when manufacturing the cars. I also assist with the ordering of laboratory materials as well as general admin work required to keep the laboratory fully functioning. As an integral part of the process team, I have also been shown how to use a variety of equipment.

The workplace was a really good environment to work in. I managed to see a lot of areas and how to utilise my degree.

My colleagues were really helpful and very supportive. They always offered guidance and advice when I was completing jobs and my project.

I had regular contact with my manager on a one to one basis and was always asked whether I was okay personally as well as in the job.

My work was very varied and not repetitive. Some days were quiet and others were busy - this reflected the true work environment as the jobs that came into the laboratory always varied.

I was given some generic admin jobs and ordering to do and was also left to my own devices to complete jobs. This made me feel like a valued member of a team and not like I was a student.

Being a female and working in a predominantly male environment, I learnt how to confidently represent myself and put myself forward in discussions and jobs. The work involved both office and laboratory work and I learnt to balance the two as well as see the importance of both sides of my role. I also learnt how to tactically think about problems that came into the laboratory to successfully complete jobs and offer advice where necessary. Thinking outside the box will help me in future careers and I will not be put off by minor aspects of a job.

It was very relaxed and friendly.

My project got off to a very slow start but due to brexit, financial issues and many other smaller factors - it took a while for my official work to start off. However, having said that, I was shown a lot of other jobs that other colleagues carry out which I wouldn't have had the opportunity to if my project got off to a swift start. This was a great insight into the official job roles others carried out and how everyone worked together to complete investigations sent into the laboratory.

I was trained on a lot of the instruments in and around the laboratory and was also offered fire extinguisher training. However, I was unable to do this as it kept getting cancelled for a variety of organisational issues. My team pushed me in the right direction and brought out knowledge I was unaware I had to utilise it in my everyday job.

Although there are opportunities within the BMW Group, there appears to be a preference to apprenticeships. Having said that, there are a variety of graduate programmes available but these are very competitive.

The interns regulary met up and did social activities together - the intern life is a big thing at Plant Oxford!

Oxford is quite an expensive place to live in general, but with the wage offered and the luck of finding a good house at a good price, I had plenty of money to enjoy the social aspects the city had to offer.

I'm not a nightlife person so can't comment on this, sorry!

There are plenty of gyms nearby and lots of events in and around Oxford with many places to visit and attend.