AutomotiveBusiness ManagementDesignE-BusinessElectronic and Electrical EngineeringElectronicsEnglishGermanInformation TechnologyInternet/e-Commerce/New MediaLanguagesLogistics and OperationsManufacturingMathematics/StatisticsVoluntary
IT innovation solutions student. Developing solutions to improve the quality of processes around the plant.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have enjoyed my internship at BMW a lot, but most important, I've learned a lot. Much more than I've imagined I would.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Most of my collegues were really helpfull throughout the placement.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was givent a chance to work by myself, by self managing my work, but if there was a need my manager was always there to help me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most of the times I had projects running thus had work to do. Sometimes these projects had short deadlines, thus required more time and focus on them, others had less, I could focus on meetings and special office events.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I think we as interns here are givent quite a big amount of responsibility. We're being treated as regular employes and I think this is a good practice.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Skills I've developed are already showing. I am now much better in programming than I was before I got here.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was really nice. While I was here we had an office renovation, got new dedsks, new innovation room. Overall, peaople were friendly, we could make jokes, have friendly chat and focus on work at the same time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My placement was a bit different from other students. I had innovation position thus every innovation topic that rose up was my next possible topic. Knowing this, it could not have been planned well. However, I believe that this is even better represesnting real life situations, because in real life you cannot always plan things throuh.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have had a couple of trainings (Agile training, and other office related trainings). Also, I was also guided by my collegues and helped by.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Verry much appealing! If there would be a chance for me to join the company full time, I don't think I would think about it for long. I believe that this company is great to work at, offers great possibilities and benefits. I enjoy people working here and the type of work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had intern social gatherings every week and a newsletter to reflect them. In addition, sometimes extra intern events were planned and carried out. However, I felt that because the meetings were mainly attended by German speaking interns, English speaking students tend to miss out on these events because of language problem. There should be a rule applied in these events to speak English (at least more than now).
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Since we live in Oxford, the cost of living is quite high. Of course, the company cannot do anything about it. It's just the way it is. On the other hand, groceries and going out related spendings are really good. Quite cheap even I would say.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Oxford has many many pubs withing walking distance. These are great to experience English quisine and drinks. I also much preffer them before clubs (which there are not so many of), because you can chat with people while having a nice pint of ale and a nice, fresh, hand made burger.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were many gyms and other sports related activities near by. We have played squash for quite a few times, tennis, went to swimming pool, etc. Of course, most of these will require a short walk or a bus ride depending where you stay at.