1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed this placement because it have an insight into the world of a private company and I picked up valuable experience from this perspective. Along with this the working environment was friendly and I got to know many other members of staff, both other interns and full time employees. However the placement was not as technical as I was hoping for and I was not given any large scale projects.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt like a valuable member of my team and I knew that my job was worthwhile and integral to the workplace.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The was always at least one member of my team available to talk to if I needed any help or guidance with the work that I was doing.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The majority of the time I had something to do with my day, however on occasion I had very little to do and felt bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given an appropriate amount of responsibility on my placement.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Although I think this placement improved my organisation skills to a great extent I think the remainder of my degree will rely on skills I gained from my first and second years at university. The interpersonal skills I gained on this placement will no doubt be of benefit when working beyond my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A generally enjoyable place to work there was always a time between working to relax and talk with colleagues. The office itself, however was badly lit and allowed very little natural light to enter three windows. The lack of insulation meant and poor air conditioning meant that it was often to cold in the winter and too warm in the summer.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The company was very experienced in providing placements and the processes in place to guide each student through the year worked well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I went on a number of one day training courses to learn about the systems that were in place within the workplace.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would be interested in working within the company, however I think it is unlikely that I'll apply within the department I spent my placement in.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Through both a code-knit team and the large group of interns there were plenty of opportunities to enjoy many social occasions. The close by town however was not very lively for a student city.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
A very expensive part of the country in almost every aspect. From rent and bills to the cost of a pint: budgeting was very important. However it is fair to say that with the salary provided I had enough to get by and enjoy life.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There were a few pubs in the city which were great to spend time in, but traveling further afield was necessary for a different experience.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Thanks to a busy time with my friends outside of work I didn't spend much time actively looking for other opportunities.