EMEA Franchise Management Intern at The Walt Disney Company

Hammersmith Central London and City
Arts/Entertainment/Media Business Management E-Business Financial Management Market Research Marketing

8.3/10

Provide assistance to the EMEA and UK Franchise Management team in implementing the franchise strategies for relevant character franchises / properties (Franchises represent the biggest character based businesses/brands within The Walt Disney Company e.g. Mickey, Cars etc.)

Liaise across the total business on a local and EMEA level to ensure we hold the most relevant and up to date information on franchises/properties.

Develop, own and deliver tactical elements that support specific franchise projects throughout the year, which help drive the overall success of our key properties.

I found the placement experience on of both the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences I have had. It was fantastic to be part of such a dynamic organization, working across the words most influential entertainment brands.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

I was able to work in such a great team who really from the onset treated you as a fellow co-worker as opposed to an intern. In terms of being valued, I felt I quickly became part of the team and was valued as such.

I was given a huge level of support from my management, I really felt they went above and beyond to ensure I was working in a comfortable manner. There was always a sense of approachability within my team, regardless of their position within the company. In terms of guidance, I noticed my team would always find time to help me where they could and mentor me if needed.

My role was inherently very busy due to its cross line of business nature. This meant that on a daily basis I would be very busy, however the jobs I undertook were always varied in nature so it never felt repetitive. I had three direct reports as well as six other senior management who I worked under. This meant that workload often be thick and fast, however I never felt that it was an overwhelming amount.

I was surprised by the amount of responsibility I was given from the get go. Throughout my placement I was given full autonomy on various projects and tasks. This really helped develop my project management skill set as often I would work independently on a brief, only showing management once the project was finished, therefore it was essential it was completed to the highest standard.

Due to the diverse nature of the role, I was able to get insights into multiple lines of business from marketing, finance to commercial trade. As such constantly developed my skill set and was able to apply the learnings from my degree into the working environment. In terms of what I will take away from the placement, communication is key, I learnt that relationship building is so critical in modern business and as such I will look to continue this in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

The office atmosphere was a great blend of professionalism and fun. I found there was a relaxed undertone to the entire office which really helped bring the most out of people, as it allowed everyone to flourish. Due to the nature of the company, there were often internal events such as screenings and themed days which really helped boost the general morale.

The internship had a solid structure from the outset with a well organized induction from day one. While this may vary from team to team, I found my role did have a good setup with management understanding the purpose of your role.

There was personal development within my role as often managers would bring me to meetings in order to broader my understanding of the wider business. I would be brought into various things such as agency pitches, research field days and different LOB presentations to get a grasp of what the company does.

As there is no official grad-scheme by nature the prospects are not as open as other companies that do have one. However I found that many placement students are hired post graduation, I even had three within my team who were offered roles back into the company. Therefore the prospects whilst not as cyclical as other organizations, they do come around.

Given that there are over 150 interns in each placement cycle, there is a great social scene amongst fellow students as many live within the same areas. My team did have the occasional socials outside of work, but I found I did end up socializing with my management during work and lunches very often.

Given that the office is based within central London, the general cost of both living and socializing as you expect was very high. However this is all relative as you understand this when accepting the placement .

As I was working in Hammersmith the nightlife was predominantly more bars and pubs. But as you are a fifteen minute tube from central London there is a wealth of things to do and bars, clubs etc.

I found that if you asked the question you would definitely find a range of outside activities. There was a dedicated Disney Volunteers team, Triathlon team and sports teams. I ended up in a running club within my team which was a good way to socialize.