Supporting the BIW team by maintaining databases, creating presentations, supporting reworkers, completing administrative tasks and many more.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had quite a rough start, due to a problem with the accommodation I picked (not because of the work itself!!), which made it a bit harder to get started but once I had "arrived" and learned how everything works, I really enjoyed it here and learned a lot.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Besides one exception, they all treated me with respect and civility. They gave me the feeling of being a colleague and not a subordinate.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
They've been incredibly supportive and helpful. Nothing to add, just amazing.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was always something to do, improve or discuss. Some days were very stressfull but usually, you knew this in advance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Quite a lot actually. I had to take care of important processes and quite important documents as well as audit relevant tasks.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Working here made me more organised, which is good in any situation, as well as teaching me a lot about working for bigger companies, social skills, leadership and so on.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It sometimes was real fun, but since it's a really busy department, it was often pretty quiet. Nevertheless, the basic mood was a good one.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The start was kind of messed up since there was no handover/overlap with the previous intern. Apart from that, it was as organised as it could've been.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I had a weekly 121 with my manager (sometimes the 2nd manager joined in) where we talked about my most important projects as well as my personal development. I felt in good hands.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
We sadly haven't talked about this yet, but i definitely would come back when offered the opportunity!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. The constantly offered invitations to events, parties or other social events. If one is interested, one could always find someone to go out and do something.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It was quite cheap when compared to the other prices for accommodations. Socialising was easy doable aswell.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I didn't really have a great interest in joining the night life, so I sadly cant tell you anything about it.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As already mentioned in the "social scene"-answer, the inters often provided events and other activites that one could attend.