1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The Work placement was so beneficial to both my learning and understanding of my degree within university but also extremely beneficial in shaping & streamlining my career path post university. The skills I have built this year are only skills that I could have achieved whilst on the job and have helped me become a much more rounded individual.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very much so. Being valued by your colleagues, I believe, is directly related to how willing you are to involve yourself in the Company and how willing you are to learn from others and make yourself as much of an asset as you can. Bu heavily involving yourself in your role and building strong working relationships this comes with the respect from your colleagues which makes you feel very valued within your team and in the wider company.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
In my experience I have had all the support I ever needed. To begin with (Obviously!) the support was needed a lot more as I was less familiar with the processes and how my role worked. As I began to evolve and become a lot more comfortable in my tasks I needed support and guidance less, but always was made to feel like the support was there if I ever needed it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This varied throughout the month, which I enjoyed. In my role within finance there was set monthly deliverables which I had to stick to which ensured that for set times in the month I would be very busy in order to complete these deliverables on time. Other times of the month I was able to use my time effectively for more analysis based tasks and building my skill base through training & additional analysis.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A lot! I feel this responsibility ties into a few other aspects. If you are willing to involve yourself in your role, go outside of your realm to impress and produce high quality work, the responsibility will follow, and you will also feel more valued because of this! From my experience the responsibility was achieved through more and more experience on the job and it was greatly received as you feel rewarded and valued a lot more being able to have a greater impact on the business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I fell that the educational skills I have developed throughout this year are invaluable. What I have found working in a real life environment is that you gain a lot of context to the work you are doing at university. By having real world examples of the topics you are studying during the year at university greatly helped my understand these in greater detail.
Also the soft skills I developed such as communication, time management & organisational skills will greatly benefit me not just back at university but also going forward into the working world post university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?