Commercial Intern at HSBC

Crawley South East
Administration/Secretarial Banking - Commercial Banking - Retail Banking/Finance

HSBC is a Top Employer

6.6/10

6.7
5.6

Shadowing various managers, attending client and colleague meetings, reviewing lending applications. All interns undertake a project and depending on their placement and initiative have opportunities to engage in other tasks.

The internship was a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience and exposure to the banking sector.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

My colleagues were very supportive and when I had questions took time aside from their busy schedules to discuss these queries at length with me, often on a one-to-one basis.

My line manager organised 2 meetings with me during my first week to introduce me to the bank, outline my expectations, set my personal objectives and help me to settle in. He also organised weekly one-to-one meetings to discuss any queries or ideas I had at greater length and encouraged me to use my initiative and work independently.

As in any job this varied. Some days I would be very busy trying to finish my project, attending client or colleague meetings, organising fundraising activities and have other work to do all at the same time. Other days would be quieter but there was always something to do.

As the internship is only 7 weeks long and due to the fact that the banking sector is heavily regulated there is a lot that a commercial intern can observe but not do, however you will be given your own project to make a real contribution to the bank.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

Commercial interns are usually placed in a normal office environment with opportunities to attend client meetings out of the office. I was placed in a very large office which gave me access to a wide variety of the banks operations.

Interns are placed in retail branches and commercial centres throughout the country. These branches and centres could be given more information to help their interns, however the central recruitment team who organise the internship are very well organised and helpful. I was assigned a buddy which was very helpful.

There were numerous occasions to attend training sessions and having spoken to many graduates I am confident that these opportunities would continue throughout a career with the bank.

I hope to have the opportunity to work with the company in the future as I feel my values are in line with those of the bank and I have learned a great deal about the sector through my internship which would give me a head start.

The internship begins with a 2 day induction course which allows you to meet all of the other interns and work together with them in various settings. Throughout the internship we kept in touch through fundraising socials, a community day, a day at head office and regular meetings with each other for lunch or evening drinks. I met some very interesting people that I hope to keep in touch with.

I lived in my parental home during the internship as HSBC tries to grant you a location which suits your preferences. This was ideal for my situation.

As I worked near to London this is where I went to socialise so I cannot really comment.

There are many sporting, fundraising and community events to get involved with.